Nasco Turtle Brittle

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can Nasco Turtle Brittle be used as a protein source for red foots? I just got a red foot after having only box turtles for years so I'm researching.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I went all over the web looking for a list of ingredients, I even went to enasco.com, and nowhere does it say what it consists of. I want to know more about the product before I feed it to any of my animals.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While Nasco Turtle Brittle is used by a few zoos as a protein source, there are other options for the typical user, including pretty much anything that a Boxie can eat- worms, caterpillars, pinkie/fuzzy/hopper mice or rats, cooked chicken, organ meat, oily fish, eggs, etc. even low-fat good quality cat kibble and so on.

Red-foots don't need a lot of protein in captivity- many experienced keepers only offer about a meal of it every few weeks or so. The upside to this is that an imperfect protein item should not be a big deal since they don't get much of it or very often.

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
# Nasco Turtle Brittle is a smart option for aquatic turtles and box turtles. Coming in pellet form, this formula will serve as a health preserver for your turtles. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein(min) 44.0%
# Crude Fat(min) 6.0%
# Crude Fiber(max) 2.0%
# Ash(max) 15.0%

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I forget what that protein souce is halfnelson.. but 44% is ample. I used to feed it to my spotted turtles when I was breeding them.

I've used protein as a weekly staple for about 6 years now.. I always back my claims with actual experience.. and you can see the results all over my site.. turtletary.com [ link in my signature below ].. you be the judge...

Terry K

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fish meal
meat meal
soybean meal
corn meal
Wheat meal
Dried Yeast
Whey
Wheat germ meal
Salt
Do calcium phosphate

I've looked at your site and was impressed. I have been offering the turtle brittle once a week but am unsure how much I should give him.
Also, you said UVB lights may be unnecessary. I live in Alaska so outside time is limited. Would he still be able to get all the Vitamin D he needs from the protein source? Will it hurt to have a small (18") UVB light in there?
The lady who gave him to me said she bought him at Petco a year ago and that he was a Cherry head. I don't think so. I'm going to take a series of pics to post for help in identifying. Thanx

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
yeah i read somewhere that too much protein can be bad also.. i would know what exactly is in those pellets before feeding my tort it.

Status
Not open for further replies.