Mz T in Los Angeles needs a real home ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickelette

5 Year Member
Mz was found eating her way along the breezeway, heading south on Commonwealth Avenue, between Fountain and Lexington, in Los Angeles 90029, on 30 April 1992.

We did all we could, at the time, to find her family, and no one has ever claimed her. Later, I moved out to be closer to my office.

The owner of this property died in 1999, and her daughter took over.

Mz T has always been my god-turtle. She, I think she is a she, is the sweetest spirit. Loves to take showers and be petted.

I became homeless in August 2008 and moved back in, temporarily. We are both homeless, and this is our temporary, limited shelter, Mz T & Me. Me and my wheelie and she and her shell. :D

Anyway, I have physical challenges now, that prevent me from doing as much with her as she deserves.

And now, the property is in foreclosure. Actually, it has been for a few years, but I just found out because the lender has put it up for auction.

Two "relatives" have committed to adopting Mz T, one has several other like beings in her family. But, both simply did not person up!

I NEED Mz T to be adopted and finally have a real home. Time is important since Mz T and I could be booted out at any time.

Her new family needs to be able to pick up her, and I hope they have other kids just like her. We are at Commonwealth and Lexington in Los Angeles 90029.

We hope to hear from you soon! You know where we are... for the moment. :D

Here's her portrait... http://www.facebook.com/tricia.m.wilson

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
what type of tortoise? how big? about where are you located? north cal, south? just trying to get some info out there so you can find a good home.

sorry saw where you are located, never mind on that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pickelette:

I'm so sorry to welcome you to the forum under such sad circumstances. Your picture is no longer available and can't be opened, so I'm asking what kind of tortoise you are trying to find a home for. Also, are you adopting her out for free or is there a charge?

M

Maggie Cummings

I can see the animal but the picture is so dark I can't tell what it is. Possibly a Sulcata about 3 yrs old or maybe a CDT. The photo is too dark and too small for me to see...

Ok I got it...she's a Gopherus agassizii small enough to fit in a dinner plate...

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Hopefully someone will adopt this little guy and possible help this lady out. Best of wishes to you both. and Good luck! I am so sorry

pickelette

5 Year Member
Mz T in Los Angeles needs a real home ... UPDATE

MZ T UPDATE

Thank you for all the views and well wishes and questions and suggestions.

PHOTO - I have limited vision and snapped a bunch of images. It was a hoot! This was the best one, and least blurry. But, it just does not do her justice. I brightened it, and cropped it, and made it my profile image. I think it looks better-ish.

SIZE - That is a white standard paper plate 9 inches across (edge-to-edge), in the photo. There is also a picknick plastic knife, fork, and spoon in the shot, along with two measuring tapes, and a bottle of white-out and a can of diet coke. There is a standard desk stapler and tape dispenser, but they can no longer really be seen. When she was first found, her bottom shell fit just fine in the palm of my hand (3” across). She was comfy dangling her legs and sticking out her head/neck, as far as she could. She loves to be caressed.

AGE - She was found, on 30 April 1992, the second day of the last Los Angeles Riots. So, I know she is at least 18+ years of age. She can marry, and have children, but only if she chooses. :p

MONEY - Mz T is my friend. I could never sell her, or send her somewhere unless a caring human was with her. So, there is no fee, no charge, and no shipping.

TYPE - When she first came to us, we looked at library books and decided she is a Desert Tortoise. Based on these URL, I’d say she is a Gopherus agassizii. After looking at Borrego, I am even more convinced Mz T really IS a she.
--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Tortoise
--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DesertTortoise.JPG
--- http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/blogs/comments/animal_spotlight_the_california_desert_tortoise/ <-- Borrego
--- http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/turtle/Destortprintout.shtml

Q? - Maybe the reason no one ever claimed her, is because they thought she was not “legal”. I’ve encountered a variety of T friends before, but in the last 2 days, I have learned more than I knew there was to learn. But, I did not know she is supposed to have a permit/tag. Is this true?
--- http://www.tortoise.org/general/permit.html

I hope this helps!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hello Tricia!! I just sent you another message. I would love to have her. Yes, she needs a permit and I can get that through the tortoise club that I belong to, so that is easy. I can provide her a wonderful loving home, for her to spend her days! I look forward to hearing from you! :D Mary Anne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In case it doesn't work out with Torty Mom (Mary Anne), you should know that it is illegal to SELL desert tortoises. So free is the way to go.

kimmer

5 Year Member
I am hoping to see a follow up here. I have always wanted a desert tortoise. I know they like to get out of yards so I have never been sure that my yard is secure enough. I hope someone is able to help.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I am waiting to hear back from Tricia. I will be near where she is on Saturday. I am so excited, I hope to hear from her soon!

Kimmer, where are you located?

:D Mary Anne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kimmer said:
I am hoping to see a follow up here. I have always wanted a desert tortoise. I know they like to get out of yards so I have never been sure that my yard is secure enough. I hope someone is able to help.

Hi Kimmer: Your Russian tortoise will be much more of an escape artist than the desert tortoise. I've never lost a desert tortoise in over 30 years of tortoise-keeping.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would wager a guess that 99 percent of CDT escapes are from gates being left open by gardeners and such.

pickelette

5 Year Member
Good Morning:

Please see my post dated 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM.

Thanks, Tricia

emysemys said:
Hi Pickelette:

I'm so sorry to welcome you to the forum under such sad circumstances. Your picture is no longer available and can't be opened, so I'm asking what kind of tortoise you are trying to find a home for. Also, are you adopting her out for free or is there a charge?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yea, I have great news!

I just got a message from Tricia, I will be meeting her Saturday morning around 9:30. I am so excited! Feels like Christmas, am I a dork or what!!! :p Hubby seems excited too, first thing he said "What am I going to be building?" LOL!! He's a good sport! Though he knew the job was dangerous when he took it! HA! I won't tell him, maybe a giant box in the living room!!! I'll let you guys know the outcome as soon as we get home and then pictures of course!!! Mary Anne

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Best wishes to you and Mz T with the new changes. I'm so sorry to welcome you to the forum under such difficult circumstances. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people who truly care about their tort friends, again best of luck to you both :)

kimmer

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
Kimmer, where are you located?

:D Mary Anne

I live in Santa Clarita, north of Los Angeles.

I am so happy that someone is going to help you out with your tortoise. It must be hard to give up a pet that you clearly love and have taken care of for so many years. I hope your circumstances get better soon.

kimmer

5 Year Member
Hello, Just wondering how the pick up went. Hope to see an update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.