Mycoplasma advice needed

LS141

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Please can someone give me advice. I recently bought my baby horsefield tort, he is only 3 months old. I've only had him for nearly 4 weeks however I noticed bubbles would sometimes develop in his eyes and he would try to wipe them throughout the day so I took him straight to the vet and it turns out he has tested positive for mycoplasma. I'm absolutely devastated, I love the wee guy so much already and I don't want to lose him 😥 the vet showed me how to administer the oral antibiotic into his mouth and I've to do this daily for 3 weeks however it took 2 different vets to get his head out from his shell and open his mouth, he looked so distressed and I don't know how I'm going to manage considering the vets both struggled! Is there another solution? I've heard they can get an antibiotic injection so I'm not sure why it was not offered? I'm really worried about my baby tort, can someone who is familiar with mycoplasma please give me advice or reassurance that's he's going to be OK. I'm been worried sick all day about it and I'm dreading trying to give him the oral antibiotic tomorrow as it clearly stresses him out 😔

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is the tortoise eating? If so you can inject the meds into a piece of something like cucumber and feed it that way.

Eye bubbles sometimes happen when you have the tortoise set up in a too hot and bright enclosure. Check the temperature down at tortoise level. Give him more shade.

LS141

Glasgow
Is the tortoise eating? If so you can inject the meds into a piece of something like cucumber and feed it that way.

Eye bubbles sometimes happen when you have the tortoise set up in a too hot and bright enclosure. Check the temperature down at tortoise level. Give him more shade.
He eats well but unfortunately he doesn't like being hand fed which would make it difficult. I've ordered a Habitat dimming thermostat which will give a more accurate reading, right now his basking spot shows 38 degrees, I know most people have it around 32 degrees however I was told as he's still a baby he needs more heat, is that true or do you recommend I reduce it? I've got a shaded area next to his basking spot and another hideaway at the cool end. I feel like a beginner even though I felt I done a lot of research before getting him. He's a very active little tort who loves climbing his log, he eats well and I make sure to soak him daily for 20mins. Is mycoplasma fatal? The vet wasn't very reassuring and I've been so upset thinking about losing him 😔

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Temps for basking should be 95-100F
All over temp 75-80F
Night temps because you are not brumating him and need to keep him up and active should be 70F
Humidity 80%
The basking should come from an incandescent flood bulb
Uvb from a straight tube fluorescent
Any night heat or added day heat needed should come from a ceramic heat emitter.
Substrate should be fine grade orchid or fir bark dampened to raise the humidity.
All this should be in a closed chamber enclosure.
If your research was outside of this forum, it's likely wrong or old outdated info.
You can inject the food like Yvonne said and lay it on the feeding plate/tile for him to eat. You don't have to hand feed, just watch that he eats it. Give him a soak first in the morning, around 9 or so, whatever time the sun would come up and then feed. That's when they will usually eat the best. They would wake, warm themselves up and then eat.