MY TURTLE IS OVER HEATING + HE’S IN MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR SWOLLEN EYE

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! So sorry your turtle is sick!

Try to get a picture of his face for us. Does he try to pull his leg into his shell if you gently pull on it?

I would give him a soak in luke warm water, being careful to not let him drown. Why do you think he overheated? What signs did you see? If he's cold now, a bit of warm water soak might help him wake up, if he's still alive.

Here in California it's late at night and most people are in bed, so I can't get you more help tonight. I'll tag some good turtle people for the morning. In the meantime, keep him warm but not hot.

@Toddrickfl1
@Markw84
@jsheffield

RKH

Indonesia,Jakarta
Hi! So sorry your turtle is sick!

Try to get a picture of his face for us. Does he try to pull his leg into his shell if you gently pull on it?

I would give him a soak in luke warm water, being careful to not let him drown. Why do you think he overheated? What signs did you see? If he's cold now, a bit of warm water soak might help him wake up, if he's still alive.

Here in California it's late at night and most people are in bed, so I can't get you more help tonight. I'll tag some good turtle people for the morning. In the meantime, keep him warm but not hot.

@Toddrickfl1
@Markw84
@jsheffield
Nvm i broke down in tears fyi im tskong hik to the vet now and check if hes dead or nor

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are his eyes closed? Do they look sunken in?

Of course it's not stupid to want another turtle! Obviously you care for turtles very much. If this one has died, spend some time checking how you care for him. His temperatures, feeding, tank and water, lights, heating...everything. When you're sure you are doing everything the right way, then get your turtle.

What happened today with this one? And tell me about his eye. I'll stay awake for a little while yet.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am so so sorry! ? The people on the forum understand how awful it is to lose any pet. Sometimes family members and friends just don't understand.

So if you need somebody sympathetic to talk to, we're right here. ? Hugs to you!

Reactions: RKH

RKH

Indonesia,Jakarta
I am so so sorry! ? The people on the forum understand how awful it is to lose any pet. Sometimes family members and friends just don't understand.

So if you need somebody sympathetic to talk to, we're right here. ? Hugs to you!
Well i was thinking about adopting another one next week and learn more about turtles, and im still confused about’how to help them change their skin (arms and head)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well i was thinking about adopting another one next week and learn more about turtles, and im still confused about’how to help them change their skin (arms and head)
I really don't know about turtles, so I can't help you.

I do know that the best time to learn about them is before you get them. See my post # 26 ⬆

Reactions: RKH

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
in order for the turtle to naturally shed its skin and scutes, you need clean filtrated water, a basking spot for the turtle to dry off completely and get some UV light and heat, and a proper diet. So basically you need to keep the turtle in the correct conditions.

I would suggest that you get a bigger bin for your next turtle. I have seen plenty of cheap 40-50 gallon plastic storage bins you can buy that are cheaper than a glass/acrylic aquarium.

Please monitor your temperatures (I haven't seen any info about how hot/cold his water was, or if there was a basking spot at all)

How often did you feed the turtle? Did you make sure it was checked by the vet when you received it (de-wormer, for example)? What did you feed?

You will need to read the info on the lighting once you receive it to make sure it's properly hung at the right height. Also clean the tank your sick tortoise was in before putting another one in there.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Strong sunlight i think yes. Is he dead?
Are you sure it's dead? What made you think he was overheated? Touch his eyeball lightly and see if there's reflex. Pull on a leg, is there resistance?

zovick

10 Year Member!
How did the turtle get overheated? The tank doesn't appear to be in the sun or to have any reason that the turtle would get too hot. Did you leave him outside in the direct sun?

I am very sorry the turtle died. If we can figure out why it died, it may help you with your next one. Did your vet have any idea why it died?

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
How did the turtle get overheated? The tank doesn't appear to be in the sun or to have any reason that the turtle would get too hot. Did you leave him outside in the direct sun?

I am very sorry the turtle died. If we can figure out why it died, it may help you with your next one. Did your vet have any idea why it died?

I asked him if he'd exposed it to any sort of strong sunlight and he said yes. That's probably why, or it must've been his setup. Me and @KarenSoCal were the only ones awake when it happened. But for now, rest in peace.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Well, you sound like you cared for him very much and the next turtle you get I'm sure will get everything it needs. I totally understand your pain, most people here do, so I'm very sorry and always remember that us TFO people are here for you!

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
I am so sorry. I do know what you're going through. My tortoise, Derrick, just died, and I have no idea what went wrong. Of course get a turtle if you want. Or maybe a Russian Tortoise? I think that might be easier to care for. I want another tort, but as I'm 64, if I was sick I'd worry if he would get the care my will would stipulate. I will pray for you. I think another aspect of this is that we both (you and I) thought are pets would last a long time. Derrick was 10 or 11. 7 years with us. He was supposed to live 50-100 years!