My trip to the Vet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I have 2 russian tortoises that I believe are about a year old. They've been in good health since I got them in July but one has grown substantially larger than the other. In fact, the smaller tortoise was the larger tortoise in December but has since been left in the dust. I had some concerns about the differing growth rates and over the last several weeks I was noticing a decreased appetite in the smaller one as well. It also seemed to be a bit less active. I thought there might be some dominance issues going on between the two and I had actually seen the larger one bite the other when food was involved. I'd started separating them during feeding and it seemed to help with the appetite but I thought it would be a good idea to take them both to the vet just to be on the safe side. I'd never taken them and I know it is recommended to do so right after you get them anyway. Just before I brought them to the vet I saw the smaller tortoise sneeze or cough (not sure which).

The vet that we saw was very experienced and knowledgeable about tortoises but his focus is on desert tortoises. He suggested that mine were both underweight at 54 and 86 grams, showing me a 9 month old desert tortoise for comparison. He also said I should start feeding them more than they can eat everyday, though I've read differing opinions on limiting the diet of russians. As far as their diet goes, I've been using Trader Joe's spring mix as a base and adding random other things here and there like cactus, grape leaves, dandelion, mustard greens, etc. He told me I should avoid anything with lettuce in the name as a rule but that's just not practical way for me to give them a varied diet given the small size of my tortoises, the large size and cost of grocery store greens, and my inability to grow my own at this point in time. He also told me that UV A/B lights are not the best and that I should be using flourescents.

He put the smaller tortoise on an atibiotic injection that I have to administor every 3 days for a month (10 injections). They also did a fecal exam and found a large infestation of Strongyle. They told me I should be using newspaper as bedding because the coconut core/cypress mulch mix I'm using is a breeding ground for parasites and bacteria. They said unless you change it every week it's not healthy to use.

I would just like to hear your opinions on the information I received. I feel like much of it goes against some of what I've read and I'd like to make sure I'm doing the right things.

Thanks!

Patrick

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
The two biggest things I have questions about are the lighting and the substrate. What type of lighting are you using now? And what did he want you to switch to, the florescent tubes? or the florescent coil bulbs? For the substrate, he may be right to some degree about the bacteria in the coco coir but i don't know who would suggest newspaper for a tortoise that loves to dig.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I wouldn't limit their food I feed mine once a day and then they can graze if they choose to throughout the day. The weight difference can simply be a bullying issue the one (more dominant) gets to eat first and then the little one gets the left overs if there are any. They either need more space and or need separation, and then the problems should be fixed. as for the sneezing if it happened once I wouldn't worry about it, could be a fluke you only worry when it does it all the time. The size comparison should not have been done with a desert tortoise, russians and deserts will grow at different rates. As long as mine feel heavy when I pick them up don't worry about the weight. I have a question regarding the age and where you bought them, what store did you buy them from, and a pic could help with determining age often adults are sold in pet stores as babies since they are small and in actuality they are wild caught adults, nothing wrong with that mine are all WC adults and do just fine.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
I would take them off the coir and put them on newspaper until the infection is cleared up, otherwise they'll create an infection cycle (tort-environment-tort). Whether it's ok to keep them on it afterwards depends on balancing the bad bacteria (which will always be present) by good bacteria (like in a fish tank) or cleaning frequently. Vets usually need to assume that owners can only manage the minimums of standard care which is why he recommended the change.

As for the UVA/b light, what I know from school is that those lights are only useful if the animal is within 6 inches. Otherwise the animal isn't getting a useful amount. (but I learned thus with respect to lizards). From my own research it seems that a standard plant flourescent light puts out about the sane amount of UVB as the more expensive bulb. But I'm nit sure why he recommended the switch. In any case, 20 min in the sun is better than a week under a UCB bulb.

I agree that he shouldn't have Compared the weight to a desert tortoise. But I would suggest that you get a little kitchen scale and weigh them yourself about monthly so you can track changes over time.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
Wow, typo city, that's what I get for responding on my phone! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.