my torts weight and burrowing behaviour?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I have a horsefield tortoise and he has hide holes but at night he burrows in the corner of his bed area is this normal? I've heard they dig to regulate their temp. I've had him for around 2 months now.
Digging is certainly normal for this type of tortoise, or so I understand.
Perhaps you'd like to post in the Russian tortoise section, where people know more about your type of tortoise, or introduce yourself in the Introductions section?
And a warm welcome to tortoise forum
Glad you are here.

Randi

Canada
Tortlover5m
20% humidity is very low for a Red Foot. You will notice that the eyes don't open much or stay open. I had to purchase a humidifier to reach the proper parameters. I use the Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier with a tube connected to it with one end in the enclosure. A member, Zeko, has a great thread going for humidifiers for purchase. That will be where I get my next humidifier. Here's the link to that thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/interest-in-a-group-on-diy-high-end-humidifer.115124/
I would say yours is burrowing into the substrate for moisture.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just wondering how many inches your tort is? My redfoot is almost 2 and 4 inches and I think she's on the small side but I don't know for sure and just wanna see where other torts are at
I have 3 juveniles and are 1yr old in may. Mine are 3.2 to 3.8" in length. If yours is eating and active I wouldn't worry. What is your temperature.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just wanted to add that Redfoots grow slow compared to some other torts.
Mine also dig a little pit and snuggle down.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just wanted to add that Redfoots grow slow compared to some other torts.
Mine also dig a little pit and snuggle down.
Hi Kathy. I think mine have just gone through a growing spurt. Could it be possible mine will slow down for a while now. Also I was wondering does the temperature they are kept at have something to do with there growth rate. Meaning at warmer temps there digestive is faster. Mine are at temps 80f to 90f across there environment . Humidity is always 80% to 99%. Or could it be what they are are fed on that dictates growth rate. I give them 1 pinky each a week.

tortlover5m

uk
Hi. Can you show us a photo of your enclosure so we can help you. You really need to be at about 90% humidity. Are you checking it at tortoise level and what are you measuring it with.
sorry I took along time to reply, I've been on holiday and I haven't been able to take a picture of my tortoises cage.
I constantly keep spraying the cage and I'm just about managing to get 50% humidity. I still cant get the cage at a constant 90%, so I'm going to order a humidifier within the next week. here is some pictures of my enclosure. I measure the humidity with a Komodo Dial Hygrometer & Thermometer.

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 10

tortlover5m

uk
Tortlover5m
20% humidity is very low for a Red Foot. You will notice that the eyes don't open much or stay open. I had to purchase a humidifier to reach the proper parameters. I use the Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier with a tube connected to it with one end in the enclosure. A member, Zeko, has a great thread going for humidifiers for purchase. That will be where I get my next humidifier. Here's the link to that thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/interest-in-a-group-on-diy-high-end-humidifer.115124/
I would say yours is burrowing into the substrate for moisture.[/Q
I'm ordering a humidifier within the next week. thanks for the help.

tortlover5m

uk
Hi. Can you show us a photo of your enclosure so we can help you. You really need to be at about 90% humidity. Are you checking it at tortoise level and what are you measuring it with.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
sorry I took along time to reply, I've been on holiday and I haven't been able to take a picture of my tortoises cage.
I constantly keep spraying the cage and I'm just about managing to get 50% humidity. I still cant get the cage at a constant 90%, so I'm going to order a humidifier within the next week. here is some pictures of my enclosure. I measure the humidity with a Komodo Dial Hygrometer & Thermometer.
That humidity dial is no good. You need to get a digital one. I was getting false reading when I used the dial type. If you go on ebay you can get basic digital hygrometers for about £3 to £5. I bought 10 for about £30. They all read within 5% of each other. My komodo dial read about 50%, when it was actually about 90%. So before you change anything I would get a digital reader. Your enclosure looks good. What are you using for substrate.

tortlover5m

uk
That humidity dial is no good. You need to get a digital one. I was getting false reading when I used the dial type. If you go on ebay you can get basic digital hygrometers for about £3 to £5. I bought 10 for about £30. They all read within 5% of each other. My komodo dial read about 50%, when it was actually about 90%. So before you change anything I would get a digital reader. Your enclosure looks good. What are you using for substrate.
I'm using orchid bark as my substrate

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good morning. You need to use a different substrate that holds humidity. I use coco For my substrate. This is basically a soil made of coconut shell. Pet shops and garden centers sell it. You buy it in a dry solid block and when water is added it expands in volume about 10 times as much. Do you have a home bargains shop near you they sell it for 1.79 per block. I think this is your main problem now. Later I will take some photos of mine and post them for you to look at. Bye

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Hi. I've loaded a few close ups of my juvenile enclosure for you to look at. I have coco all over for the substrate, I also have sphagnum on top of the substrate in places. Both these hold humidity good, and sphagnum moss doesn't invite any nasty bacteria or fungus. I also have 3 water ponds to encourage humidity. 1 of these mini ponds has sphagnum moss in it, the moss soaks up the water and helps with humidity. Remember you always need to check your temperature and humidity down where your tort lives, not high up. My temp at the top of the enclosure is about 40deg but down at tort level it is 28 to 32 deg. All my plants are fake. In some of these photos you can see mine dig in. You can see the old dial at the back of the cage, I don't take any notice of that, it came with the vivarium. I use digital dials. Hope this helps.

IMG_2178.JPG IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1225.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0170.JPG

tortlover5m

uk
I use to have coco soil as my substrate but i changed it because my tortoise use to get it in her eyes and i thought it might damage them. thanks for the photos and advice, its really helpful :). I might use coco soil from now on.