My tortoise Shelly's species?

JackFrost

My little 6 month old Shelly was born in Arizona but her parents which are 50 years old are from Nevada. I not positive what type she is? Mohave tortoise? Help would be appreciated thank you much!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's probably a Mojave desert tortoise, however we'll have to see pictures to tell you for sure. The orange is where Gopherus agassizii comes from, and the green is where gopherus morafkai comes from. But to toss a monkey wrench into the mix, Sulcatas are bred by private individuals everywhere. So we'll have to see a picture

tortoise_spp_map.jpg

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
She's a real cutie! ;)
I'm still learning to ID torts, do I'll be interested to see what she is!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it is a desert tortoise, but I've never been able to see the difference between the agassizii and the morafkai...sorry. Since the parents were from Nevada, according to the map, that makes them agassizii.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, it is a desert tortoise, but I've never been able to see the difference between the agassizii and the morafkai...sorry.

Me neither. It was easier when it was all one species...

Either way, for your purposes JackFrost, the care, feeding and housing is identical.

I typed this up for russians, but I house my DT babies exactly the same. Dehydration due to overly dry conditions, lack of soaking, and lack of water, is the number one killer of these babies. All the typical DT info sites advise people to keep them in ways in which a large percentage of them will die.
Check it out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

JackFrost

Thx all. She is well taken care of loves broccoli and always has a bathing dish she uses a lot. I also have Uva lamp for her. I probably take too good care of her lol. She likes me a lot and when she sees me she scratches to get out. Very affectionate creatures lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really should be using a UVB light instead of UVA. It's the UVB that causes the tortoise to make vitamin d3 for the ingested calcium to work.

JackFrost

I do give her calcium too. Also take her out in the sun for about 5 to 10 minutes a week to crawl around in the sand or grass.