MY tortoise seems over sensitive

Kaden 17071

Location (City and/or State)
USA Virginia Stafford Fredericksburg
I have a 6-8 year old Russian and she seems over-sensitive to even the smallest sounds and she starts trying to like climb up her walls. I know it's noise because when it's quiet she is calm.
she has a wooden tortoise box her temp and humidity are right I don't know what else it could be. This is a problem because I have been exposed to covid so I am doing online school and I need to use my laptop but the fan bugs her. Is there anything I can do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe you need more shelter in the enclosure. Placing a few plants around inside will offer more cover.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 6-8 year old Russian and she seems over-sensitive to even the smallest sounds and she starts trying to like climb up her walls. I know it's noise because when it's quiet she is calm.
she has a wooden tortoise box her temp and humidity are right I don't know what else it could be. This is a problem because I have been exposed to covid so I am doing online school and I need to use my laptop but the fan bugs her. Is there anything I can do?
A picture would help us get a better understanding. What size is the enclosure? What substrate?

You might want to put on some background noise like a clock radio or tv or an air filter for the room so its not so silent. Desensitize the tortoise to the sounds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That sounds like a good idea. She has cypress mulch.
That enclosure is literally one quarter of the size your tortoise needs as a minimum.

You also appear to be using the type of cfl UV bulbs that sometimes burn their eyes.

Either of these things could be the primary cause of your issue, or a contributor.

Read this for the correct care and housing info, and your questions are welcome. You don't have to believe what I'm telling you just because I said so. I'm happy to explain where these assertions come from.

Kaden 17071

USA Virginia Stafford Fredericksburg
To me, I feel like that large of a habitat is absurd I don't know where it would go maybe a tortoise isn't for me I got one because I thought they would be easy to take care of and we are all over the place during the week, although I love tortoises maybe they aren't the right pet for me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Does she have bright day and dark, quiet night? If you work at night, with lights and noise, this would stress her as they all need to sleep at night in darkness. I don't think the laptop fan noise alone would cause this behaviour. We need to see your setup for her, and get more information as to her temps, humidity and diet...and some pictures, please, so we can better help you with this issue.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does she have bright day and dark, quiet night? If you work at night, with lights and noise, this would stress her as they all need to sleep at night in darkness. I don't think the laptop fan noise alone would cause this behaviour. We need to see your setup for her, and get more information as to her temps, humidity and diet...and some pictures, please, so we can better help you with this issue.
There is a photo in Post #6.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Well, I think you probably should read the care sheet that Tom sent more carefully. Lots of wrong and outdated info out there on the internet.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, your habitat looks small, as @Tom had mentioned.
Well, the Bigger the habitat the better (to a point (inside)), They need area to walk around and "explore". The walking, along with correct temps helps them digest their food. typically 4' x 8' is very common.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
can you send me a link to a tortoise terrarium that is the right size
No one makes one the right size. You have to build it yourself, or have someone build it for you.

As adults, they should live outside in a large secure enclosure with a temperature controlled shelter for nights and bad weather. They can be brought indoors at night or for inclement weather, and for the whole winter if you don't want your tortoise to brumate.

Tortoises are great pets, but they do require enormous enclosures to keep them healthy and fit. There are many other reptile pets that would do just fine in an enclosure that size, but not an adult tortoise.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, Kaden,
Don't give up on your lil tortoise buddy. Just like a Dog, or a parrot, they all need an environment that is similar to their Natural environment, regarding food, habitat, care. I'm sure you can do this.
Don't get overwhelmed, you can do this. Read the care sheet, and work on the things that are not quite right.
Please understand . . Were ALL here to help you an your lil tort. to have a happy & healthy life.
Please continue to ask questions, like I said WERE here to help you.
And know. . . once you get it dialed in . . they are pretty easy to care for.
Hope to hear from you soon.