My tortoise has become very lethargic and sleepy.

Ofmiceandben

Location (City and/or State)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Hi, I got a 10 month old Horsefield tortoise last weekend and we brought him home. He’s got a nice little enclosure with a heat and UV lamp (gives off UVA and UVB) but I’ve noticed that since he’s come home he’s been very inactive.

When we collected him, he was very active with lots of attitude but now I haven’t seen him drink once and he doesn’t really come out of his burrow - he’s maybe awake for 35-45 minutes per day and I’m quite worried that this is nowhere near enough, even for a baby.

His lamp is around 30-33°C and he has a basking slate underneath it for that extra bit of warmth.

Can anyone advise what to do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pictures of the enclosure and list what type of lights, heat, substrate, diet, how often you give warm water soaks?
The temp should be:
Basking 95-100F
Day all over range from 75-80F
Night 65F
Humidity 80%
He should be in a closed chamber

Ofmiceandben

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Post pictures of the enclosure and list what type of lights, heat, substrate, diet, how often you give warm water soaks?
The temp should be:
Basking 95-100F
Day all over range from 75-80F
Night 65F
Humidity 80%
He should be in a closed chamber
IMG_8715.jpeg
This is his enclosure. His substrate is a Swell Reptiles tortoise soil. His lamp is at that temperature.

We are considering a closed chamber soon but the sellers confirmed to us that this wasn’t 100% necessary and that a tortoise table can be just as good for him.

We haven’t given him a warm soak yet, so that will be the next port of call. How warm should the water be?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The seller is wrong.
The tortoise should be soaked daily for 20-30 minutes in 90-95 temps.
That light is not a good light to use. He needs a tube florescent uvb bulb. Will need heat for cold weather.
Cover the enclosure by making a tent like enclosure over it, with lights and heat inside or buy and use a pop up green house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I got a 10 month old Horsefield tortoise last weekend and we brought him home. He’s got a nice little enclosure with a heat and UV lamp (gives off UVA and UVB) but I’ve noticed that since he’s come home he’s been very inactive.

When we collected him, he was very active with lots of attitude but now I haven’t seen him drink once and he doesn’t really come out of his burrow - he’s maybe awake for 35-45 minutes per day and I’m quite worried that this is nowhere near enough, even for a baby.

His lamp is around 30-33°C and he has a basking slate underneath it for that extra bit of warmth.

Can anyone advise what to do?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Start here, and come back with questions after you reassemble your blown mind. :)