My Star tortoise egg exploded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Never had this happen. I'm hearing that is was just a bad egg that filled up with gas and combusted so Im not too worried but had to share because I was shocked! Got 2 eggs left....we'll see!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ALways sad when that happens... and normally messy and smelly. :( I hope the rest make it (fingers crossed)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You HAVE to remove bad eggs before this happens. Your incubator is now contaminated, full of bacteria, fungus, sulfer dioxide,and whatever else grows on rotten eggs.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I removed the egg as soon as I saw what had happened. Before it exploded it looked beautiful! Pure white, No mold, dents nothing. Yes the mess was smelly and gross. I removed all the other eggs into a different incubator and scrubbed the yucky one pretty good. Still smells...

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
may i ask, what do you clean incubator with? it has happened to me too! down to no eggs. would like to clean the incubator. thanks all.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Well the egg was about a month old. And the two that are left, one is a week earlier and the other one came a week after so.., we will see what happens. Their due in/around Feb. I cleaned the incubator with Dawn and warm water and now have a cup of baking soda inside with the door shut to eliminate any more of the odor that is still linguering. Sorry to hear about your eggs:(

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Oh cool idea with the baking soda...my flatmate puts it in our fridge when I have mealworms in there for the lizards (apparently that's gross :p).
Good luck with the rest of the clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.