my star sleeps all day and poops white lime like stuffs

[email protected]

5 Year Member
hello friends , me really worried about my star tortoise he sleeps most of the time like 23 hours a day ,and does not eat much and poops white stuffs like lime ,I am really worried and since in India its not good to find any vet and its not legal or so stuffs ,please help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises do sleep a lot. If you keep him in a large habitat with quite a few sight barriers (enrichments) it gives him a little more reason to come out and wander around. If you have him in a wide open habitat, naturally he's going to stay hidden all day so the big, bad predator can't get him.

Soak your tortoise every day in warm water for about 15 minutes. The white lime-like stuff is normal, but it should be the consistency of cottage cheese, or even wetter. When its hard that means the tortoise is dehydrated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, then, maybe he's not warm enough. You'll need to go over your husbandry. Re-read the care sheet and make adjustments where needed.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Hari, just read the postings in this thread and follow that routine ..... your star will be ok
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...e-need-your-immediate-help.91181/#post-849994
and as Yvonne G said, the white lime like stuff is urates and they should have a consistency of paste, wet .
if they're hard then your star is dehydrated and is in pain because the hard Urates are tough and painful to excrete and can block your star's cloaca/tail.... soak twice a day and since it is getting hot spray the shell 3-4 times a day with a water dish available to your tort always... and i hope your star is getting enough sunlight....