1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My Russian tortoises shell

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by makandcheese0718, Mar 21, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. makandcheese0718

makandcheese0718 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    I just purchased a Russian tortoise a few weeks ago from a pet store and his shell has been concerning me can anyone help? IMG_2528.jpg IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2534.jpg IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2541.jpg
  2. Houdini Hutchings

Houdini Hutchings Member

Exeter
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi
    Wow that doesn't look good at all. I would take to see reptile vet get advice. There maybe something they can do to help. I. So sorry that this poor tortoise has not been looked after. Thank God you've got it. I don't know if this can be reversed but it can't get worse. Sorry if I've not helped much but did see none had answered so here's my little input. Hope it works out.
  3. jsheffield

jsheffield Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Westmoreland, NH
    I'm by no means an expert, but that looks like shell rot to me.

Try treating it with athlete's foot cream daily 7-10 days after cleaning the shell with warm water and a rag or toothbrush ... I bet you'll see an improvement.

I rub a small amount of a homemade lotion on my tortoise's carapace and plastron once a week, which may or may not help his shell, but I'm positive the weekly inspection is a good thing.

Good luck and congrats on your new tort!

Jamie
  4. Houdini Hutchings

Houdini Hutchings Member

Exeter
    Wow really using athletes foot cream works on a tortoise shell? Would never of even thought of that at all. But good to know.
    jsheffield likes this.
  5. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    To me it just looks like normal wear and tear for a wild caught Russian Tortoise, which is what you have.
    SweetGreekTorts likes this.
  6. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Tucson, AZ
    Not shell rot, and nothing to be concerned about. Like @Toddrickfl1 said, it's normal wear and tear on a wild-caught tortoise. Just provide warm water soaks and you can take a soft toothbrush to scrub the shell to clean it up.

I do recommend a Vet visit to have it checked for parasites. Wild-caught tortoises are prone to having them, and it's treatable with dewormer.