My Russian Tortoise *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
After lots of research and preparations I now have my first adopted Russian Tortoise.

This male was named "Waffles" and was surrendered to the CTTC by his previous owner.

So glad to have my first Russian and let me tell you, so far he is loving his new home.

He is housed outdoors in a 20' x 6' pen. (here is the link)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65028.html
It's fully planted with grasses, weeds, succulents and more. I brought him home last night and gave him a soak. I had him sleep inside then put him into the pen this morning. He took off to exploring right away. Within 10 minutes he started eating!! I was happy to see he was so comfortable right away :)

His first soak
xdtmd0.jpg

This morning he got a soak before going out. Here my leopard is also getting soaked before going into his separate pen.
24kwqoj.jpg

In the weeds
6fo4r7.jpg

25ksv3t.jpg

Now he is locked up in his night box and will be let back out in the morning :)

Thanks for looking and I'm happy to be part of the Russian Club :p

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Good-looking tortoise, and I love the name 'Waffles' (love the Leo, too), and your outdoor enclosure looks wonderful - I admired the pics on the other post.

Looks like Waffles has a little bit of an overgrown beak. Being outdoors, I bet this will take care of itself, but just in case it doesn't in the next few weeks, you may try filing it down a little with an emery board, or possibly clipping the overhanging part carefully. Being outside, grazing, that may not even be necessary though. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You got a looker! His enclosure sounds and looks ideal. If I died I'd be thrilled to come back as one of your tortoises!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
biochemnerd808 said:
Good-looking tortoise, and I love the name 'Waffles' (love the Leo, too), and your outdoor enclosure looks wonderful - I admired the pics on the other post.

Looks like Waffles has a little bit of an overgrown beak. Being outdoors, I bet this will take care of itself, but just in case it doesn't in the next few weeks, you may try filing it down a little with an emery board, or possibly clipping the overhanging part carefully. Being outside, grazing, that may not even be necessary though. :)

personally not a fan of the name, lol. He'll be known as "male russian" around here. at least for a while.

i trimmed his beak on the first night home. now being outside it should file more but i'm not afraid to do touch ups if needed :)

Tom said:
You got a looker! His enclosure sounds and looks ideal. If I died I'd be thrilled to come back as one of your tortoises!

WOW What a compliment!!! :D This is what most people say about you :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh, I am so excited for you!!!!
Aren't they amazing. So resilient.
Tom is right, yours has died and is now in tortoise heaven.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
WOW What a compliment!!! :D This is what most people say about you :)

You mean the part about being a looker?:p. Hahahahaha. If you knew what I really looked like, that joke would be even funnier.

Seriously though, that little "test" is one of my measures of enclosure greatness. "If I were a tortoise, would I want to live in there?" It may be a bit anthropomorphic, and I may be guilty of too much speculation about what a tortoise wants or needs, but I try to look at it from their point of view. I watch how mine behave and how they interact with their environment, and then try to make their enclosures the best I can. I just think you hit a home run there. :)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i agree, what a looker & what a name. love it. he looks so happy in the plants.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So great to see somebody having such a lovely crop of weeds this time of year, I am jealous. :D Here you have to search for tiny nubs of new growth.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:
I just think you hit a home run there. :)

This is what means a lot coming from an experienced keeper!

Jacqui said:
So great to see somebody having such a lovely crop of weeds this time of year, I am jealous. :D Here you have to search for tiny nubs of new growth.

I love so cal. I'm overgrown with weeds year round!! :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He is so lucky!!! I forgot to mention to you that he was living in a small glass aquarium with just a log. I'm so glad he found a happy home. Now we just need to get some females for him! :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
kimber_lee_314 said:
He is so lucky!!! I forgot to mention to you that he was living in a small glass aquarium with just a log. I'm so glad he found a happy home. Now we just need to get some females for him! :)

no wonder he is so excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies.