My russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaliskater2015

5 Year Member
I got a russian tort a few weeks ago and he was eaten an entire leaf of kale each day. And he was very active. Now he seems to stay more in his hut and he doesn't eat. Do russian torts hibernate?
Please give me as much information as possable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi kaliskater and welcome to the Forum!

We will be happy to answer any particular questions you may have, however, it would be better if you do your own research. It ends up better for you because YOU know what you're looking for, and we don't.

I suggest you start by reading here russiantortoise.org/

Also, while kale is an ok part of a varied diet, all by itself its really not too good to feed. If the tortoise can't graze on grasses and weeds, then you can buy different types of dark, leafy greens in the produce section of the grocery store. Buy a head of escarole this time and when its gone, buy a bunch of turnip greens, then maybe endive, then a bag of Spring Mix. You can mix it up for a nice variety.

kaliskater2015

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! But do you know why he hasn't been coming out of his cave?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. :) yes they will hibernate. However, seeing you just got him and you really don't know how healthy he is, because you just got him, it recommended that you don't let him brumate (hibernate) the first year. Also, because his diet of only a leaf of kale each day, isn't much of a good diet to carry him through a brumation.

kaliskater2015

5 Year Member
How would i stop him from hibernating? When i take him out of his cave to eat he just goes back into it..

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! Your rt is responding to the changes in seasons. It is normal and they all do. However since you should not hibernate/ brumate it this year you have to fool it into thinking it is summer and he should stay active. Make sure you have the lughts on for him 12-14 hours a day. That he is getting enough uv and keep him at the warmer side of the temperature gradients. There are lots and lots of resources here on tfo that discuss there. So use the search function and read read read. If you get stumped and can't figure something out we are definitely here for you! Always happy to help a fellow tort lover!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
How warm is he? Mine tend to "burrow" when they are to cold.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I wouldn't allow him to hibernate the first year you have him (or ever, depending on what you decide). When my Russian torts start thinking about hibernating, I get them out of their hide spot and put them into a bowl of warm water and make sure the UVB lamp is on 14 hrs per day.

kaliskater2015 said:
Thank you very much! But do you know why he hasn't been coming out of his cave?

Status
Not open for further replies.