My Russian Enclosure

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I just wanted to show an updated picture of how the plants grew in. The basil plant (I think that is it) took off and gives him such amazing shade. I definitely recommend using it to provide shade because they usually don’t eat it. It really doesn’t matter for me because the little turd will eat nothing in his enclosure. I planted some broadleaf weed seeds and after they were doing great, I set them in for him. It’s just a new climbing feature. I try to hand feed him the delicious weeds I planted to get him interested in them. I’m occasionally successful but I am not over exaggerating when I tell you, he only accidentally eats it while trying to bite off a chunk of my finger. He’s gotten my finger twice.
The cilantro is a major dud. I’ve tried two plants and I can’t get them to thrive.
I’ve ordered his house for when it gets chilly and he needs to warm up. We are picking it up on Saturday and my husband is adding the insulation, roof, basking bulb, CHE, and thermostat. I am adding an 8x4 section to create an L shape for his enclosure. His house will go there. I’m going to also plant the whole thing with the broadleaf weed seed. Hoping that will get him to eat it.

He may be a little terror compared to our sulcatas, but we love him. He is hilarious to watch and all our family likes to go say hello to him when they come over.

Attachments

• E858636B-C582-4C13-BE15-822C9EAB145B.jpeg
    E858636B-C582-4C13-BE15-822C9EAB145B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
  • BD38895D-BD25-4377-845B-10A3BCEA57BE.jpeg
    BD38895D-BD25-4377-845B-10A3BCEA57BE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Looks great! Here’s what happened to the basil plant I put in Curtis’s enclosure, lolIMG_1535114222.013786.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Vicky, your enclosure is beautiful. Maybe try cutting down on the offered foods to encourage him to try the natural plantings. Tortoises won't starve themselves to death if food is available. It took a while for our spoiled brats to be "encouraged" to graze, but now I can't grow enough grazing foods by this time of year, so they're supplimented with grape leaves and mulberries. Once again, your enclosure is amazing?

vicky219

india
Vicky, your enclosure is beautiful. Maybe try cutting down on the offered foods to encourage him to try the natural plantings. Tortoises won't starve themselves to death if food is available. It took a while for our spoiled brats to be "encouraged" to graze, but now I can't grow enough grazing foods by this time of year, so they're supplimented with grape leaves and mulberries. Once again, your enclosure is amazing?
Actually its not my i am just kidding..
Because his tourtoise bite his plant & finger also ...
Thats why i am saying that for just joking..!
Like tourtoise says its my house and i am a don here..
But thank you for help here...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It can take a while to get them eating new and unfamiliar foods. It sometimes takes weeks or months to slowly introduce new stuff.