My Remaining Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
Figured I'd share whats left of what has been my primary petkeeping hobby for many years. I'm down to ONLY 3 Tanks these days. I was already on the decline before we got the Torts, and now between the remodel and the torts my tanks are looking TERRIBLE. My fish have been slowly dwindling in numbers, and by and large I haven't restocked. Not many left.

The first two are 40 Breeders in a stacked setup with a sump. I've been doing different lighting experiments on them for a while now, and its taken a toll on the plant life. Both of these will be going into a 135 soon.... I guess you can't call it downsizing, but its one less tank.

401.jpg

This one was originally a dwarf rainbow tank, signifer, furcata and the like. They're long gone, nothing but algae crew left.

402.jpg

This one was an amazon tank with some cockatoo cichlids and cardinals. cockatoos are all gone, still a couple cardinals and lotsa guppy/endler hybrids. One spotted Severum is growing out here, one of my few purchases in the last couple years, he's almost ready to try and make it with the big boys, except most of the big boys have passed in the big tank, and all thats left are a mated pair of severum.... not good.

Spot.jpg

This is my 150 Tall, kind of a unique tank, you don't see alot of them. Its too tall really, 32 inches, which makes lighting a pain. Aside from neglect on my part the last couple months taking a toll, the Severums mated recently... and tore the place up! All that java fern scattered around the substrate USED to be attached to logs. That little female was a big mistake. The Male Severums better half died mysteriously about a year ago. Healthy one day, dead the next. Not too long after I bought the spotted, I saw that Female Severum at a store, she was a trade in and as pretty as can be. Well Mocha, our big male chocolate, may he r.i.p. and Junior the big male severum were best buds until I dropped that little tart in there. They wound up fighting over her, and Mocha died from his wounds. In a year I went from about 10 Large to Medium peaceful, co-existing cichlids that I expected to have for many more years to only 3 of that original group for one reason or another. Pretty much bummed me out. I'll likely be tearing this tank down when we redo the floor in the room its in, and not put it back up.

150.jpg

150b.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a 150 tall also. I am always afraid I am gonna fall in head first, not be able to right myself and drown :p

The best lighting so far that I have found, to be honest, is a 4' shoplight, $10 at Walmart, with a GE 6500K Daylight T8 (2 for $10 at Walmart) OR a custom made incandescent hood with a handful of 100 watt equiv. 6500 daylight CFLs. I have had these on my planted tanks for years, and I have gone the whole T5 HO and MV route, with less success. I do no CO2, just the occasional cap-full of Flourish Excel.

I had 27 aquariums, the 150, a 125, couple of 90s, an 80, all the way down to one tiny 2.5 bowfront with red clithon corona, a handful of RCS and an anubias nana petite, and then we had a power outage that lasted two days in the dead of winter. The only thing that survived were my goldfish, rosy barbs, and my native BW tank. It was devastating. Now I only have 11. Big drop for me.

My favorite tank is always the one that has my biggest goldfish in it - my second favorite by far is my breeding colony of Neolamprologus multifasciatus. I have a 20 long saltwater tank as well.

Love the pics, and knowing there are fellow hobbyists out there ;)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I LOVE my generator. That has saved me so much grief. Its not unusual for us to have 4 day outages, UGH. That's really sad that you had to go through all that. The heartache I can imagine is terrible!

I know what you mean about falling in! There've been a few times when I needed to reach the bottom and didn't feel like partially draining the tank. Hold my breath and dive in .... blech!

I've played with the t5 ho as well, with mixed results. Good t5 bulbs are out there, but ka-ching! The 150 has 4 "Mildly Overdriven" T-12 Daylight Deluxe over it. I recently got a deal on some small t5 ho fixtures that I tried augmenting them with, but not much improvement. The First 40 has two t5 ho, and gets good growth, but the colors are blah, the second currently has one pl/aq, one daylight, and two chroma50. It has the best growth and prettiest colors of all 3.

I really want to try an "El Natural" Tank, and wanted the 135 to be that, but I'm toying with the idea of putting all 3 tanks in one. Those cichlids would make a MESS of a dirt substrate. Instead I may put the cichlids in the 135 and guppies in an "El Natural" 55. At this stage I'll be happy with just one or two tanks. I've discovered I'm more into the plants than the fish anymore, lol.

and thanks btw! hehe
I just caught the colony of Neolamprologus multifasciatus part, those are shellies right? I'd been thinking of doing those for my daughters, I think they'd love them, but not only are they unobtainium around here, the wife shut me down... lol She's really not into the fish and has been encouraging my downsizing.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, those are the shellies :)

You know, they do just fine in a ten gallon tank - or would be fine in a tank with the guppies :) I do ship ;)

KristinasPictures064.jpg

This is my goldy tank with a 4' shoplight and just ONE daylight bulb. Two was too bright ;)

Day 1, you can just BARELY see my swords poking up behind the wood

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fiSOww3wE[/video]

And three months later :)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVu6uEdlTc[/video]

And my native BW with just two 100 watt equivalent CFLS

Picture098.jpg

So as you can see I am getting really good growth :) This was after spending well over $100 on a Hagen GLO T5 HO and deciding I hated it, lol.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
Thanks for posting the pics. Reminds me of when my dad had fish. He had fresh water sharks in one of his. The smaller fish would harrass those poor sharks. The sharks were only about 8 inches long, at most. Getting picked on by 2 inch fish.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
hmmm,
I might have shellies in my future.... gonna need to work on it though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.