My red foot communicated to me....

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I have had my red foot tort for 4 months now but not exactly sure of her age, she's 200mg now & when at first she was 97mg so I suspect she might be 9 months old. I start noticing in the past few weeks my tort made high pitch clicking sounds for a short period when I petted her, I had her very close to my head so I was able to hear this sound which I didn't noticed in earlier months. My guess is this is a sound of expressing affection, has anyone experienced this?

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
First off Happy Birthday!!!

I'm very new to tortoises but my most shy hatchling makes a whirling-clicking sound when I pick her up (to soak her etc.). Because she's so small and shy, I'm pretty sure it's a sound of distress. I'd be interested to know if they make other sounds (or the same sound) when they are content.

willee638

HK
First off Happy Birthday!!!

I'm very new to tortoises but my most shy hatchling makes a whirling-clicking sound when I pick her up (to soak her etc.). Because she's so small and shy, I'm pretty sure it's a sound of distress. I'd be interested to know if they make other sounds (or the same sound) when they are content.
Thank you & also for sharing, so far I've only heard this high pitch whirling/clicking that sounded like made by I thought electronically & another was a gasping sound when she was moved/picked up suddenly. I'm not sure if your new hatchling was spooked by sudden movements or some other expressions at being that young, I guess we'll probably have to wait till they get larger to hear or notice other noises from them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think we can be fairly sure that the noises are NOT expressions of true love for the huge monster holding them up in the sky.:D

willee638

HK
My red foot when let out to the open grass fields always runs towards me maybe not because she recognises me, it's probably she thinks I'm a tree & wants to look for shades. I can imagine when a tort is that small & always looking upwards equivalent to a 100 feet up, it would for sure be very intimidating to them. The sounds that they make I'm certain isn't any kid of distress because it's on a ground level petting on the head or shell & she isn't avoiding me, maybe torts can only make one type of noise for both fear & contentment.