Anyone out there ever heard sounds made by your red foot tort?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, a year & a half ago I brought my first red foot tortoise home & now a proud owner of 3. But the first was the only one I ever heard that actually made any audible sounds as she was growing up through the months & I thought this was normal behaviours, only one other person replied to my previous post by saying he/she has heard the exact same noise theirs made. It sounded like a very faint whirling electronic bird like chirping sound I initially thought was from my cellphone & whenever I bound with her at close range while petting her it occurs. Somebody suggested this could be the reaction from fear rather than content, but I don't entirely agree because it's been months passed since I had her & she is used to me & comes to me for protection when taken to the park of grass fields & hasn't pee when I picked her up. I had not heard any noise coming from the others & thus far months later, what are your experiences?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they are quite vocal, but mainly during breeding.

willee638

HK
Yes, they are quite vocal, but mainly during breeding.
I guess tortoises are some of the animals that doesn't make vocal noises unless under very extreme situations, like I have heard fish made sound but unfortunately it wasn't under good circumstances. Mating would be one of the happy ones....