My ornate, Lylah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey all,
I have an ornate for whom I'm concerned isn't eating enough vegetation/greens. She is very carnivorous and eats lots of superworms and crickets. She will eat fruit and berries but I have yet to get her to eat any green leafy anything. How concerned should I be? She is full of personality and seems quite healthy.
She is a wild caught adult but willingly takes crickets and worms from tongs and will let me hand feed her fruit. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378580082.436324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She looks like an Eastern!! :) She is beautiful!! I have two Easterns that wont eat greens either. I mix them with other food and they eat it. You could tear it up small and mix with her berries. I hope this helps!! :)

Welcome to the forum!!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Do easterns a have the colorful undershell like an ornate? I was convinced she was an ornate, now I'm second guessing LOL

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She is an Ornate!! She just looks similar to Easterns :)
Here are some pics of my Easterns so you can see how they look similar!!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_8.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_8.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20130213_080644.jpg
    20130213_080644.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 36

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Ok first newb question...what is a carrot soak?! Lol

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Elohi said:
Ok first newb question...what is a carrot soak?! Lol

No worries :) He had an irritated eye so until the vet appointment I was soaking him in warm water with a small jar of baby food mixed in, for added nutrients.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378662227.898184.jpg
Lylah had a good long soak and her and my youngest are watching one another. When I put Lylah up my toddler had a devastated tantrum LOL.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Is there any real way of knowing how old an ornate may be? I assume she is an adult by her size but how old is a complete mystery. She was wild until a month ago.

Also, her hide is a half log and she prefers hiding in there to most anywhere else but I don't know if she stays warm enough in there. I move the thermometer around to check various location temps but she never basks out under her bulb. Her uv bulb is on all day as well but she is in her hide so much I'm not sure how much uv she might be getting. I do take her outdoors when I can so that she can really get some good sun but I'm not sure how often to do that and for how long since its pretty hot in south Texas still. I plan to build her a portable outdoor habitat. For now it's a gigantic dog kennel without the pan in the floor so she is actually in the grass.
Lylah came from western Oklahoma where it is hot and dry. At what temps should I be keeping her habitat inside? I find conflicting information on the Internet about how much humidity she may or may not need. Advice? Thank in advance.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Elohi said:
Lylah had a good long soak and her and my youngest are watching one another. When I put Lylah up my toddler had a devastated tantrum LOL.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Is there any real way of knowing how old an ornate may be? I assume she is an adult by her size but how old is a complete mystery. She was wild until a month ago.

Also, her hide is a half log and she prefers hiding in there to most anywhere else but I don't know if she stays warm enough in there. I move the thermometer around to check various location temps but she never basks out under her bulb. Her uv bulb is on all day as well but she is in her hide so much I'm not sure how much uv she might be getting. I do take her outdoors when I can so that she can really get some good sun but I'm not sure how often to do that and for how long since its pretty hot in south Texas still. I plan to build her a portable outdoor habitat. For now it's a gigantic dog kennel without the pan in the floor so she is actually in the grass.
Lylah came from western Oklahoma where it is hot and dry. At what temps should I be keeping her habitat inside? I find conflicting information on the Internet about how much humidity she may or may not need. Advice? Thank in advance.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

That's a very sweet picture :)
There's no way to know the age for sure. You can tell she is old by the amount of growth lines but that's about it. My dude is about 5, I'm his 3rd and last owner. He is very small, under 4", due to improper care and diet. He also prefers to sleep in his half-log, although I don't know if its his preference or if its because he doesn't know about it. (He never had the proper substrate, depth and humidity of it to be able to) He's been with us for 4 months now and he's made huge improvements. I think he's happy now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.