My new sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuttleorbuttle

5 Year Member
Hello!

A couple weeks ago I picked up a baby Sulcata. Probably gonna get him/her a friend soon, too.

A couple things..

Some places I've read said to only feed them grass, whereas others say a mix of dark greens is OK too. I believe this little guy was raised on spring mix before I got him, and that's about all he eats. He refuses to eat grass. I've tried coaxing him by cutting up the grass and spring mix finely and mixing it up, but he's very good at just picking out the lettuces. In fact, if he ever gets a piece of grass, he spits it out. Maybe it's just that type of grass (St. Augustine)...

Second, he likes jumping off of a little log burrow I have. It's very odd. He's actually quite active and usually roaming around his tank (gonna build a larger tortoise table soon), and often will walk on top of the log thing, then just jump off the edge. It's only about 3 inches, but a couple times he's fallen on his back.

Should I just remove that log burrow?

Mike

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
For my 4 month old sully, I cut the grass up fine, then mix it with soaked Mazuri, and he eats it right up! I would take the log burrow out of there - the thought of him falling on his back when you might be gone is a bit too worrisome for me. HOWEVER, you've GOT to take a video of him making the jump first!! (and post it, of course)

tuttleorbuttle said:
Hello!

A couple weeks ago I picked up a baby Sulcata. Probably gonna get him/her a friend soon, too.

A couple things..

Some places I've read said to only feed them grass, whereas others say a mix of dark greens is OK too. I believe this little guy was raised on spring mix before I got him, and that's about all he eats. He refuses to eat grass. I've tried coaxing him by cutting up the grass and spring mix finely and mixing it up, but he's very good at just picking out the lettuces. In fact, if he ever gets a piece of grass, he spits it out. Maybe it's just that type of grass (St. Augustine)...

Second, he likes jumping off of a little log burrow I have. It's very odd. He's actually quite active and usually roaming around his tank (gonna build a larger tortoise table soon), and often will walk on top of the log thing, then just jump off the edge. It's only about 3 inches, but a couple times he's fallen on his back.

Should I just remove that log burrow?

Mike

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Congrats on your new sullie...cut the grass up small and spray your spring mix with water so that the grass sticks to it. Mazuri does help also, as advised above. They just have to get used to the taste of it. I would also suggest removing the log, it could be too dangerous if someone is not around. Those babies love doing that. Climbing and jumping off the logs...silly little guys...

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Don't get a "friend"... Unless you want to make another enclosure. They are solitary animals and don't want company.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a smooth, healthy sulcata. I would make his hide with straight sides so he can't climb on it. I also would not get hi a friend. He does not want one and chances are they will eventually have to be housed apart anyway.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.