Sulcata refuses Zoo Med food

Nadine360

Location (City and/or State)
My year and a half old sulcata refuses his new food I got Zoo med, even if I blend his old food and grass he still refuses it, he's gone on a hunger strike for the past couple days, he does love to graze in the yard on grass and clovers and hell eat grass and clovers that I've chopped up from the yard but I don't know if garden variety grass and clovers is the most nutritional for him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My year and a half old sulcata refuses his new food I got Zoo med, even if I blend his old food and grass he still refuses it, he's gone on a hunger strike for the past couple days, he does love to graze in the yard on grass and clovers and hell eat grass and clovers that I've chopped up from the yard but I don't know if garden variety grass and clovers is the most nutritional for him

Have you smelled that stuff? Eww....if I were the tort I would rather graze any day, as well as the grass and clover is super better for the tort than the commercially packaged stuff....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Most tortoises don't take to it immediately. When introducing it, you have to start with a tiny little bit. In time they all get used to it and most of mine eventually like it.

It is a good food and worth the effort. It offers a good way to add variety to the diet, and add much needed fiber to grocery store greens.

Here is a thread with a list of lots of other good foods you can offer him:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Nadine360

But it's so healthy for him! The stuff the pet store I got him from told me to head him pretty pets, and I learned that that stuff was the equivalent to Mac and cheese for kids, they will survive but won't be healthy, so now he's super spoiled with Mac and cheese tort food, but he does love grazing outside and I've heard that not alot of people can get their torts to eat outside,b

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
But it's so healthy for him! The stuff the pet store I got him from told me to head him pretty pets, and I learned that that stuff was the equivalent to Mac and cheese for kids, they will survive but won't be healthy, so now he's super spoiled with Mac and cheese tort food, but he does love grazing outside and I've heard that not alot of people can get their torts to eat outside,b
Mine, love uncut items..if I chop and mix zero.. Zoo med forest is goto . Soak for 20 mins drain serve...she can fill up on it..but the items I cut fresh she loves..go out side cut all kinds of items up....loves..only thing my Red Foot tortoise runs to is ......hate me Mazuri croc chow..one day a week...I soak put in she runs to it....everything else I leave and go she c o me out in a few hrs..lol very funny

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
My tortoise has never eaten packaged tortoise food. For the last 15 years, he has eaten nothing but what grows in our garden, with the exception of an occasional watermelon rind or cucumber.

Mine too after only after 2 months! Who doesn’t have weeds in the south!
If you don’t, I need details!