My new pair of Leopard Tortise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
They have been with my for 2weeks.
Active and greedy. LoL!
Female is the darker bigger one and male is the lighter smaller one.
Just to share some pic of them.
Cheers! :D
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Shouldn't they all look like this??
From Asia,a country call Malaysia.
They have over 30 heads and all their shell looks this way tho.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wow! Those are gorgeous. I wanna know how they were raised. Those are some of the smoothest I've seen. Great color and pattern too.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TortBrain said:
Shouldn't they all look like this??

Some of us really wish they did, unfortunately they don't. I'd like info to on their conditions growing up. Humidity level, temperatures, how often they were soaked, etc... I know you said you just got them, but any info would be valuable.

TortBrain said:
They have over 30 heads and all their shell looks this way tho.

Never saw a tortoise with that many heads. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh... Malaysia. Hot and humid all the time. (I mean that in a good way. I'm jealous) I'll bet they were raised outdoors, right? Not in a tank in an air conditioned or heated house?

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Oh.. Something new that I've learn.
Somehow, I find that Leos from westen countries are nicer & have unique patterns compairing to Asia.

I have no idea on how they were raised but I sure that are not bred by the pet store which I've gotten from. They are imported from some breeder/supplier.
Pet store is air condition, all Leos are kept in Exo Terra tanks+heat bulbs or cages. Sun tan once in a while and spray with water. Shop owner advise me to let them have as much sunlight as possible, wrote me a list of food, no water dish is needed to be place in their tank, soak them once a week will do and ask me to buy some suppliment for them. And yah, they are using wood shaving as bedding.

This is where I got mine from:
http://www.adpost.com/my/pets/49676/

Was also told that there's chip
in their leg. To identify or so-call licence. True?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't seen a lot of difference in color or pattern between different parts of the world. The torts that I've seen from Asian countries have almost always been gorgeous.

I would DEFINITELY use a shallow water bowl all the time and I'd soak 2 or three times a week at least. The shell spraying should be done 3-4 times a day. I'd build them a humid hide box to hang out in too. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1DrE4IRUl
Just don't ever let them get cool with all that moisture. Try to keep it 80F (27C) all the time, even at night.

Your dealer is right about the sunshine, the more the better, especially since its hot and humid outside all the time. These things are just my opinion. I think most people keep them way too dry and thats the reason they pyramid so badly over here. Yours have clearly been started right. It would be a shame to lose that.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Hiya Tom, thanks for the link & great info provided. Will take note on the soaking part.
Some info in my country.
Outdoor temperature during they day ranging from 31-33C.
Indoor minus 3-5C from the above.
Outdoor temperature during the night will be ranging from 28-30C.
Indoor, likewise.
As for humidity level, if I can remember correctly, should be around 70-80+.

Saw a thread after mine. Title: Leopard Tortise. By: Tortuga-terrestre. Your baby GPP looks pretty, never saw any in Asia. :(

May I ask if it's ok to give them Chinese Celery? Will be hunting for Mazuri pellets later. It's a good diet for them eh?

Thanks & cheers everyone.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Well these are just mine.... the big one was born in July 2009 and the second little one is born in August 2010 and the smallest one is in December 2010
I'm not an expert or anything but either I'm guessing the ones you got are around... 4inches? Maybe? The big one of mine is around 3 inches.

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Thanks JD :)

Hey Mao, your nick sounds like chinese. And, NICE Torts! Like i say, i still love the patterns on westen Leos. It just looks so different.
My female is 3.5" & male at 3".
Some pic to share :
IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Your Leo's look great! So jealous! Although I do love mine... they are silly.
Yes I am Chinese but how I got that name is a different matter hehe :)
I am curious on what makes them get their unique patterns..... I wonder if it has anything to do with what they eat.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
So where are you from Mao?
My guess will be on their parentage to how they got their unique patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.