My little tort doesn’t like calcium. help!

lexilexa

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
Hello everyone, I have recently gotten a baby leo tort and she is 4 months old today.

However I have always been feeding her with hibiscus, cactus, kales, chopped cucumbers and lettuces but whenever I sprinkle some calcium powders on it, she will not eat at all.

Or even if I sandwich the powder in between the veggies to prevent her from seeing it, she will still refuse to eat them. I have also tried feeding her myself but it doesn’t work.

Anyone have any other tips? ?

Appreciate it!

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
You could try putting some cuttlebone into the enclosure. From what I understand, they will nibble on it if they feel the need. I have one in my enclusures and they all nibble on theirs every once in a while.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can do the cuttlefish bone or when putting the calcium on use a tiny pinch. Most put too much. You can also scrape the cuttlefish bone onto the food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, I have recently gotten a baby leo tort and she is 4 months old today.

However I have always been feeding her with hibiscus, cactus, kales, chopped cucumbers and lettuces but whenever I sprinkle some calcium powders on it, she will not eat at all.

Or even if I sandwich the powder in between the veggies to prevent her from seeing it, she will still refuse to eat them. I have also tried feeding her myself but it doesn’t work.

Appreciate it!
You should only be using a tiny tiny amount of calcium powder, and mix it all in with the food. Just a little pinch or sprinkle. Once you mix it up, you should even be able to see the powder.

More info here:

Aequor

Europe

Appreciate it!
One of my leopards hate it too. It´s because of the smell for him I believe, but the cuttlefish he likes so I hope yours will like that option as well. :D

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
As the others say, you are probably feeding her too much. Just the tiniest prinkle—like fairy dust—will do it!