My little redfoot - is he too flat? Some are hump-shaped...

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
Just wondering if I kept Gibby too wet, or if I fed him too much, or both at the same time. He's really flat when I see him next to a couple of tiny baby rescues we just adopted. See attached picture and let me know if he's too low and flat- and what to do about it if he is.

If I can correct his shell shape while he's still a little baby, I think it is the best time.

Do any of you have flat-looking redfoot tortoises? Are some just shaped different from others, depending upon which South American population they are descended from?

Thanks!Gib_Face.jpeg

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Your tortoise looks wonderful. The other bumpy ones or "hump shaped" ones may put out new growth that's nice and smooth like the photo above. Smooth is good. Nice job.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Karen:

Some tortoises don't start getting a higher dome shape until they get a little older/bigger. I know it's a different species, but my Manouria look pretty flat for the first few years after hatching, but then when they start to reach sexual maturity the dome shape starts to develop too. I think your tortoise is going to be fine. Stop worrying!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, his shell is SO SMOOTH.
*being jealous...
you're doing a great job with him, he looks great.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
When I bought my baby redfoot tortoise he looked different to me from other Redfoots -flat- and that's why his name is flapjack. However-your tortoise looks just fine!! I went throught the same thing....worrying!!