Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't find it cute.

Are you using a coil type UV bulb? Or red bulb for heat? These things can mess with their eyes.

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
Oh bless him! I love watching torts eat. They have the cutest little tongues :)

johnhnhn

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't find it cute.

Are you using a coil type UV bulb? Or red bulb for heat? These things can mess with their eyes.

I use the Zoo Med Powersun bulb to provide both the UVB and heat. The lamp hangs from the ceiling to prevent the rays from aiming directly at his face. The basking temperature is set at exactly 95 degrees.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I believe baby tort's are still learning how to eat during the first 3 months. When I had a TINY hatchling/baby Leopard tortoise he would sometimes have trouble aiming his bite's directly at the leaf. Eventually he learned. I don't think anything is wrong with the vision of your tort. (and no I did not use ANY bulb's that would hurt my tortoise's eyes -_-)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
His eating looks normal enough. I noticed that when you stopped feeding him, he took to the food and ate just as we expect he would. The vertical stick of (fruit?) can be hard to see with the food at that angle. I agree with you...I think your baby was so cute and it really made me chuckle. Did it occur to you that maybe a pick of that stick went down the wrong way and he was trying to adjust it somehow? That's why he looked as though he was eating air, and that's what made it so funny.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
To me it looks like he's trying get the piece of food down easier. My hatchling had trouble aiming his bites also. He's about 3 months now and is getting much better at aiming. For my Greek, I think he couldn't tell how long his beak was so his food would accidentally get pushed out of the way.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I agree with sibi and Mjdeisher. There is nothing wrong with your tortoise other than the fact he was trying to get that carrot down his poor little throat. It looked stuck. If you watch his throat while his mouth is wide open you can see it sticking up in his throat. I thought it was kind of mean to give it that carrot just to watch it choke on the carrot. If it were me, I would steam it a little before feeding him the carrot, while he is little and its difficult for him to really bite those harder vegetables well. That is my opinion. You have a beautiful tortoise and I thought he was really cute.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.