My little girl Lucy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
I have a 1 1/2 year old desert tortoise named Lucy. The plan was to keep her awake this winter with heat lamps, but I don't think she's too keen on the idea. As of a few days ago she was very active, then we got a sudden temperate drop and she's been sleeping the last couple of days. This was my fault as I didn't have the heat lamps set up for her (I had been waiting for her new little house to be made). I keep her at my work and in our office is quite cold. We don't have heating for ourselves (doors must always be kept open) and even with the lamps finally on (today), it didn't seem like it was warm enough for her to enjoy it. She was awake for maybe 2 hours but it wasn't warming up fast enough for her. I did put it closer to her enclosure and it finally got to 80. By that time she was over it and slept in the corner the whole day. She didn't touch her food which surprised me because she's a great eater.

My questions are:

Should I just keep her at my house where the house is warm and, of course, with the heat lamps on?

Or should I just let her do her thing and hibernate?

I was told by quite a few people I should keep her up this winter that's why it was never my intention to let her hibernate.

Again, your help is appreciated!

I should add that she doesn't stay at my work at night. She comes home with me everyday because our office is ice cold at night.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I wouldn't hibernate a tortoise at that age. How warm are you keeping her? Are you leave the lights on for at least 12 hours?

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
I brought her home to stay here because it made more sense. This way the lamp can stay on for 12 hours and hopefully have no interference with the cold outside air.

Only downside is I won't be able to monitor her during the day.

I used to love winters but now that I have tortoises, I don't care for this time of the year anymore. :-/

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I used to love winters but now that I have tortoises, I don't care for this time of the year anymore. :-/

also,,,the older I get the less I like the cold all together..funny..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.