My kid won't eat in his new home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! So when Herbie got sick, I bought him a new enclosure that was all germ-free and generally just better for his health. He is totally recovered (yay!) but now he won't eat. When we take him outside, he eats. When we put him on the living room floor after his bath, he eats. But he won't eat in his new enclosure and this is where I always feed him his mazuri in the mornings which I sprinkle calcium on.
I've heard that torts do this when they get a new enclosure. Anyone have any suggestions for how to get him to eat in his pen?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him time. He will most likely come around. About the calcium. You aren't giving it every day are you? A pinch two to three times a week is enough. Too much calcium can be bad too.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Question for clarification Wellington; my understanding from other threads was calcium without D3 was ok daily, but calcium with D3 only once a week? Have I mistaken this guideline?

In response to this topic. I just went through a broken tank, twice and our baby leopard tort wouldn't eat in the temp housing for the week he was there. Nor did he eat in his repaired enclosure for about two days.

I'm sure your tort will come around. Maybe offer a treat to encourage eating in his/her habitat. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting them going and then they take off on their own

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Thank you :) I hope he comes around! And yes, I do a pinch of calcium over his mazuri 3x a week

Status
Not open for further replies.