Heavy

5 Year Member
Thank you :shy:
Here some pictures of our habitats:

1-st level (Russian tortoise called Kizito):
0908beaee303c2b5f7.jpg

2-nd level (Hermann's tortoise called Eddie):

Bigger terrarium for adult Russian tortoises Yngwie & Emma:

There are UV-lamp ReptiGlo 10.0 and lamp for basking in each terrarium. All my terrs are hand-made :) In summer time all my torts ussually going to the countryside. Most of ukrainian tortoise keepers do the same (except those persons who don't take care about their pets at all).

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Those are some very picturesque enclosures! It looks like you spent a lot of time and effort planning them and putting them together. :D

Do your tortoises have any trouble walking on those wire racks you have across the floor? :p

They are darling little creatures, and appear to be very healthy and happy! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice habitats, Anastasia! How much time do the tortoises get to spend outside? I'm just curious how many months of good weather you have in the Ukraine. The one Russian is a little misshapen. They must be very tame to be taking food right out of your hand.

You've done a good job making comfortable indoor habitats for your tortoises.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Looking good :) How did you acquire them? Are Russian's native to Ukraine? Or are they from farther east towards the "Stans"

Heavy

5 Year Member
Thank you all guys for compliments :)
Stephanie Logan said:
Do your tortoises have any trouble walking on those wire racks you have across the floor? :p
We changed substrate for several times. Now the rubber rug is in one terra (where adult tortoises are living), but there are large pebble and snags too. The rubber rub is soft, so it's very comfortable to walking on.
emysemys said:
How much time do the tortoises get to spend outside? I'm just curious how many months of good weather you have in the Ukraine.
We have a good weather from April till October. So from May till September is a good time to put tortoises outside.
emysemys said:
The one Russian is a little misshapen. They must be very tame to be taking food right out of your hand.
Yeah, it was really sick when we have taken it from a petshop :( Believe me, it's exterior was worse than presently. It takes almost a year to make it more healthy.
DoctorCosmonaut said:
How did you acquire them? Are Russian's native to Ukraine?
Actually I have paid money for one tortoise only (it was my first tortoise). Then I try to help another tortoises who needed help or treatment (because we haven't reptile vet in Ukraine). And people started to bring me sick and "homeless" tortoises. For some of them I found a new home, but some remained to live with me :)
Russian's are native to Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmeniya... There is one turtle is native to Ukraine - Emys orbicularis:

It's name is Sunny. Someone has caughted it in stream and then bring it to me. We keep it from autumn and I plan to give it a freedom by summer :)

PS: Please sorry my English

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with your English. Don't worry a bit about that.

The water turtle is beautiful! I love all the spots.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
So glad you are doing what you are doing :) I've been to Ukraine twice and its so beautiful, I love it. Maybe you can become the 1st reptile vet? ;)

Heavy

5 Year Member
Oh, I'm an editor. Reptiles is my hobby :) But I know a few good vets who can study herpetology well. It'll be nice if they gone to Moskow zoo to take lessons ;)

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Did you get your one Russian from a former owner? The one in the very last picture on the right.

Heavy

5 Year Member
All of my tortoises from a former owner (except of Kizito, 2-nd foto).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Very nice set-ups. You have your own little rescue service going on. Good for you, and good luck with everything you do.

Heavy

5 Year Member
Thank you, Terry! I'm not alone in my rescue activity. There is a such kind of club (in Ukraine and in Russia) where volunteers help torts who need their help :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I love your orbicularis rescue. They are one of my favorite pond turtles. They remind me very much of emydoidea blandingii, which is native to my area. Looks like it's eating very well for you;)

Heavy

5 Year Member
harris said:
Looks like it's eating very well for you;)
Yeah, it already recovered and returned it's weight. It taked just 2 months. Considering that people, who caughted this turtle, feed it by cabbage and bread, they don't know that it need fish, meat, seafood, snails etc. So it was very skinny when it has got to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.