My Greek tortoise, I need help to ID which type

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I got my Greek tortoise a couple of years ago. I was told that she was LTC and a golden Greek. She's obviously NOT a golden. I would like to get another of the same type, but I need to know which type she is first. I've tried finding out which subspecies she is, but I can't seem to find too much info on the different types of Greeks. She is 6.5 inches long. Please, I would really appreciate the help from some of you experts :) Thank you very much

-Nick

P4140005.jpg

P4140008.jpg

P4140025.jpg

P4140037.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Our resident tort ID person is on vacation until the 27th. When Danny gets back I am sure he could help. From what I have observed from your pics it looks like it may be antakyan because of the large 5th vertebral scute. But I am not sure if it is a cross or not. Danny should be able to tell.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am not sure i get my Greeks mixed up, She looks like an older gal!! Is she an older girl?

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I have no idea how old she is. I know she was wild caught, I know she was long term captive when I got her, but I don't know how long she's been in captivity, or how old she was or what size she was when she was caught from who knows where. The only thing I know about her history is that she was supposed to be a golden Greek. I did ask a knowledgeable guy fellow at a big reptile expo what he thought she was from pictures, but his best guess was a graeca graeca or a graeca ibera. He said that to fill shipping quotas(or something like that) when they were importing a bunch of goldens, they caught other Greeks and said they were goldens. I don't think I had such good pics to show him, plus he was looking at them on my tiny camera screen.

The 27th or so is not too long to wait, I've been wondering for a couple of years now, what's a few more days?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have an Antakyan/Jordanian cross. :) There are males out there if you look for them. They will though have been imported 4 or 5 years back now.

You were right there Robyn :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
YEA! Good one, Robyn...and WELCOME BACK Danny. You were missed.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yeah, I finally got one half of one right. But I did miss the Jordanian cross. I should have known since that is what Echo & Ajax and most of my hatchlings are. I just keep on working on my Identification and someday I will have it down. Someday.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Wow! Thank you!!! So she's a naturally occurring hybrid, interesting. I guess that's why none of the others I've seen looked like her.

So, how do you become a tortoise expert? I hope to be one some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.