my FRB nails curve upwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

kailey lane

5 Year Member
i adopted/rescued a FRB ,his nail point upward and when he poks himself in the eye once and a while when hes swimming.does anyone have experience with this type of nail issue?first off,is this normal....if not what should i do? he lived in a horrible home before i saved him today,hes lived in a 15 gallon tank his entire life so he much more happy now.anyone with input on this nail issue?im a dog groomer and have experience in nail trimming but iv heard thats a no no with turtles, he seems to be jabbing himself;( any clue whats going on? he also lived with no uvb or veggies,just turtle pellets.here are a few photos of when he came home
100_4020.jpg

100_4019.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
That reminds me of those ladies with the long curly nails. Sorry I have no advice on that.

Has his shell been painted? If not what a pretty color. His face is pretty too. Good Luck!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's unusual all right, you can always trim them so he will stop poking himself in the face.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kaily lane:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Male water turtles do have really long front claws. And when they are starting to show the effects of metabolic bone disease, the nails are the first signs, in that they start to grow at odd angles. Do get some calcium into your new little turtle, and some sunshine.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, I can't help much as I have never had an issue like this, but I would assume like David said to just trim them...

kailey lane

5 Year Member
i was hoping it wasnt bone disease :( can that be reversed or is he doing to die form it? thank you all for your kind words,he shell is not painted,he came like that with algae on him,he is a cute little guy
im in Michigan and my name is kailey;)

kailey lane

5 Year Member
oh good! i was all on pins and needles thinking hes doing to pass away,i got him a cuttle bone and have calcium powder for the crickets and worms.he has a uvb now and will be getting greens tonight for the first time in his life.which greens is he most likely to love??

thank you all so so much for your input:)

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
He has a great deal of algae on his shell. Does he have a place to dry off and bask? Usually algae like that only grows if it is constantly wet....
Not having sufficient UV exposure would explain both the nails and the algae.

kailey lane

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
He has a great deal of algae on his shell. Does he have a place to dry off and bask? Usually algae like that only grows if it is constantly wet....
Not having sufficient UV exposure would explain both the nails and the algae.

Shelly- until i rescued this poor little guy he had no uvb...just a basking lamp.And when we got him the lady gave us a floating basking dock and when we set it up he sunk the entire thing:( .....so yeah we think he couldn't even bask at his old home plus he was in 15 gallon.All the algae is gone now ,he has been basking everyday here at our house:) thank you so much.

He is now in a 75 gallon that i got for him over the weekend and a few goldfish for a nice little welcome home treat:) im so glad i saved him,hes already very much loved here.

Do you guys think the nails will grow back to normal shape with the uvb and calcium? i trimmed them a bit because he was poking him self in the eye,i rounded them so they are not sharp and he is much MUCH more happy:)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Kailey we would love to see some new pics? We are really glad you rescued him too! It sounds like he will be much happier with you :)

kailey lane

5 Year Member
i have a few pics of the day we brought home the new tank:) its bare in these pics,but much better now.

100_4077.jpg

100_4078.jpg

100_4055.jpg

100_4072.jpg

100_4057.jpg

kailey lane

5 Year Member
i was guessing on his sex,do you guys think hes a male? btw his name is Beans:)

ChrisandTaryn

5 Year Member
Hi Kailey!
I'm a "Newbie" too but, from the research I've done and by what my Vet has said it looks like he's a boy. :) Judging from his, what was, long nails (females don't get log nails like that) and also his plastron looks concave which is another telling sign. Also his tail seems pretty thick which is something I've heard males have.
I hope he likes the new food he gets to try :) My guys looove romaine lettuce. ;)

kailey lane

5 Year Member
oh thank you! yeah he loves his dandelion and roman;) hes getting spoiled thats for sure:)

Status
Not open for further replies.