My first Sulcata --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyfolk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hiya,

I was just given a baby Sulcata!! I have been looking for one for a couple years now, and this little guy/gal feel in my lap!

I think he/she is a little over a year old and only 2 3/4" long. I don't know exactly what he has been fed, but I think it was not the 75% grass that everyone says it should be. I think it was a heavy carrot and romaine diet with Jurassi Cal supplement.

First thing I did was go to the nursery and buy a pot of clover--I also bought some "pet grass" from the petstore, but I don't know if that is good or bad. He loved the clover, and nestled right into the pet grass.

He is very friendly, was held a lot by his/her former owner, taken outside to eat grass, etc. But now that I am the new Daddy, I need to make sure he is taken care of perfectly.

What would you feed a little 2 3/4" Sully?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The little ones have a hard time biting off grass. You can take the scissors to some grass in the yard (with no pesticides, etc) then cut it up really small. I like to use the packaged Spring Mix you buy in your produce section of the grocery store. Moisten the greens then sprinkle the cut up grass over the top. "Spring Mix" is a good variety of young greens and is easy for them to eat.

Yvonne

Greyfolk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, he loves the spring mix with carrots sprinkled on top!

How can I tell if he is too skinny? He looks scrawny in the rear end... what should he look like at 2 3/4" ?

Thanks

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats on your new baby! Sulcatas are my favorite! Sometimes their legs do look a bit scrawny but that won't take long to change. There are several threads you could read here about their care with several links. Make sure he is getting a calcium supplement.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
My 11 month old loves to go outside and eat weeds. Especially the clover looking plants, he has an easier time with those. And he loves grass too, although it gives him a hard time when he tries to eat it!!!

Congratulations!!!

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Greyfolk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What substrate should I use in his tank? He is in sand right now, but it gets everywhere...he fills his water bowl with it every day. I'd like something for him to dig in...maybe even some sod??

Any suggestions?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Aspen is a nice substrate. Easy to clean and they can burrow in it if they want to. You could dig up a hunk of grass and put it in a container and set it into the aspen. You will just have to water it because the lights dry it out quick.

Greyfolk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
Aspen is a nice substrate. Easy to clean and they can burrow in it if they want to. You could dig up a hunk of grass and put it in a container and set it into the aspen. You will just have to water it because the lights dry it out quick.

Thanks! What is a good size area for this guy to be in over the next year or so? He is in a 20 long aquarium right now.

Side note: He is already a member of the famiily. My 14 month old baby loves him and my black lab Minga is curious but very respectful.

Anyhow, thx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.