My first RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
I'm new to having a Russian tortoise
And I need some tips on how to keep him happy and healthy? and one other question what temp do they like? I don't have any pictures of him yet.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
You can keep him happy and healthy by giving him lots of safe space to explore, a varied diet, and very important- the correct tempatures to live, thrive, and digest. Enclosure Ttemperatures are crucial because torts are coldblooded. They need YOU to warm them up enough to digest their food.

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm is a good start for your research.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

Irish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
Do not forget to soak them regularly. I make sure mine get soaked twice a weak in slightly warm water. They will usually defecate in the water early on so I have two tubs and switch them so they can still soak for twenty minutes or so. Water should only come to the bottom of their shells, and make sure they do not bake in blazing hot sunlight. Also, the sides need to be high enough to prevent them from escaping. I never leave them unattended. There are just too many predators to leave to chance.

megs123456

5 Year Member
You should let your RT roam around outside, and if possible let him/ her eat garden weeds, such as dandelions or clovers. Having lots of sunlight will keep your RT healthy and happy!

bigrussiantortoise

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376843806.603090.jpg
I just got him that's why he's in a box like that I have a bigger tank for him

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For a adult Russian tortoise most keepers use a tortoise table rather than a tank. Russians need room to roam and a table gives more space.

Could you build something 3' x 8' with 12" tall sides? You can even a a 2nd story over part of the enclosure to provide more space and good exercise.

A outdoor enclosure is also helpful in providing roaming room and sun exposure.

What lighting do you plan to use?

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.