my first outdoor enclosure, i need help!!

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Hello everyone, I recently moved to Florida and I would love to put Sheldon (Russian tort) outside. I'm thinking it shouldn't be that difficult and I understand there are things that it will need for safety and such. I'm also thinking it could go bad very quickly if not done properly!! So, what are the do's and dont's? I will have a top to protect from predators but what fire ants?? would they bother him ?? ANY tips from those that have outdoor enclosure, even building materials , will be greatly appreciated!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have fire ants, but yes, they can kill him. Once you get it done, put a layer of diatomaceous earth food grade around the outside of the enclosure. Then keep it freshened up after any rain.
Also put a fence bottom on the enclosure. I used a puppy play pen fencing and just laid it on the ground. I anchored it a bit and then just let the grass and weeds grow over it. Put the sides of the enclosure so it either sits on the bottom fencing or just past it. Russians can dig out and climb.
At night either bring him inside to sleep or have a hide you can lock him in each night.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
thank you! I was thinking about 6MM max metal as the bottom then building walls out of concrete blocks around the edge of the metal.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
What part of Florida? What is the ground like? Sandy, marshy, regular dirt, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to fill it with dirt and a layer of sod then all the plants and such
No sod. Its grown with toxic chemicals and plastic netting. Russians aren't grass eaters anyway. Better to leave it dirt, or let safe weeds grow in.

You'd be safest if you made a great big cage to keep critters out and the tortoise in. Russians are escape artists. Use a visual barrier around the bottom of whatever you use, like this:
IMG_7276.jpg

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
No sod. Its grown with toxic chemicals and plastic netting. Russians aren't grass eaters anyway. Better to leave it dirt, or let safe weeds grow in.

You'd be safest if you made a great big cage to keep critters out and the tortoise in. Russians are escape artists. Use a visual barrier around the bottom of whatever you use, like this:
View attachment 366264
That is very nice! I didn't think about how sod grows, thanks for the heads up. Would nice organic dirt and grass seed work? It wouldn't be the whole enclosure, just an area.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
That is very nice! I didn't think about how sod grows, thanks for the heads up. Would nice organic dirt and grass seed work? It wouldn't be the whole enclosure, just an area.
You will have the same issues with seed (Possible Toxic) unless you do some good research. I am currently reading up on seeding so I can seed a 5000 sq ft. area. Have come across this term "Endophyte" quite a bit. Unless it says Endophyte free on some of the species of grass it may be toxic. I am no expert, just trying to learn just as you. Good luck

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Personally, my pens are cheap and easy...I use cinder blocks. Russians are notably expert at escape, so whatever you build it must be escape proof...I live in the PNW and keep Sulcata, so I planted pasture grass...Russians don't really graze so you should plant weeds and...

Russian tortoises

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
You will have the same issues with seed (Possible Toxic) unless you do some good research. I am currently reading up on seeding so I can seed a 5000 sq ft. area. Have come across this term "Endophyte" quite a bit. Unless it says Endophyte free on some of the species of grass it may be toxic. I am no expert, just trying to learn just as you. Good luck
lord.... lol for a pet that doesn't do much they are so high maintenance lol. I should take the top layer of dirt and grass off the ground and put it in the enclosure. I'm trying to protect him from potential ants by having a solid bottom.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Personally, my pens are cheap and easy...I use cinder blocks. Russians are notably expert at escape, so whatever you build it must be escape proof...I live in the PNW and keep Sulcata, so I planted pasture grass...Russians don't really graze so you should plant weeds and...

Russian tortoises

I'm leaning more towards the cinder block idea on tip of a solid substraight so he can't burrow. Then attach a sturdy, half inch chicken wire for the top

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm leaning more towards the cinder block idea on tip of a solid substraight so he can't burrow. Then attach a sturdy, half inch chicken wire for the top
They do a squirm thing in the corners, so always be sure to cap the corners...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lord.... lol for a pet that doesn't do much they are so high maintenance lol. I should take the top layer of dirt and grass off the ground and put it in the enclosure. I'm trying to protect him from potential ants by having a solid bottom.
Buy pasture seed that is intended for grazing animals from a feed store near you. Don't buy grass seed from a hardware store. I have tried many in side-by-side comparisons, and this one is BY FAR the best each and every time:

If there is dirt or soil of any kind the ants will move in. The trick is to regularly police the area around the pen and kill the ants nearby. Keep radiating out and killing ants farther and farther, and look for new colonies moving in to the kill zone frequently. Keep pushing them back farther and farther. You can never stop, because they never will.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Buy pasture seed that is intended for grazing animals from a feed store near you. Don't buy grass seed from a hardware store. I have tried many in side-by-side comparisons, and this one is BY FAR the best each and every time:

If there is dirt or soil of any kind the ants will move in. The trick is to regularly police the area around the pen and kill the ants nearby. Keep radiating out and killing ants farther and farther, and look for new colonies moving in to the kill zone frequently. Keep pushing them back farther and farther. You can never stop, because they never will.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
thank you for the advice. The ants make me nervous to put him outside. What if there is a bottom to the enclosure, something the ants cannot get through. I will still treat the area

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you for the advice. The ants make me nervous to put him outside. What if there is a bottom to the enclosure, something the ants cannot get through. I will still treat the area
Even with a solid bottom, ants can move in and colonize from the top. It there is dirt or substrate, the ants can move in. You just have to be vigilant and keep after them. The more of them that you kill in and all around your enclosure and property, the less like they are to get into your tortoise pen.