My first enclosure, Russians seem happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah

5 Year Member
Feedback would be great. I have a serious female burrower, so the pen is burried about 6 inches, then inside there is about 4 inches of soil or more, 3 inches of playsand and lots of reptibark.
she seems to like to get to the sand when she's hot,so I have it in the cool corners under a layer of reptibark.
There are two Russians, the one in the plastic pot is Allen and the one in the green 'house' is Olivia.
Bought some seeds today, basil, lavender, parsley and rosemary, will it grow, I wonder? Should I take out a section that has sand and plant it a in more earthy area? Do I really need to mix the bark and the soil or is it ok as is in general?

Attachments

• rthome1.jpg
    rthome1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 133
  • rthome2.jpg
    rthome2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
  • rthome3.jpg
    rthome3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 68
  • rthome4.jpg
    rthome4.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 61
  • rthome5.jpg
    rthome5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 71

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a couple questions for you:

Is the habitat sitting on the dirt, or is it on cement?

Since you have it right up next to the house, why didn't you use the full wire panels and make it bigger, not having the panels next to the house?

If the habitat is sitting on dirt and not on cement, then I would just take everything (all the substrate) out and leave the ground exposed. I especially don't like the bark. You could dig the ground up and turn it over a bit to make it a bit softer, and water it. Then you can just plant the seeds in the dirt. Russians do a lot of walking and I would think they would need an area about three or four times as big as the one you've built.

However, having said all that, I really do like what you've done. Getting them outside is a major hurdle and I applaud you for that. The way you have covered the outside of the wire panels so they can't see out is a good thing.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am not a fan of repti-bark as it is made from fir which is a pine and can have bad (devastating) effects on torts eyes and respiratory systems.
Per http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html and other sites fir and Pine is “Highly toxic when heated, emit noxious fumes. Serious risk of impaction if ingested. Avoid!”
I agree with Yvonne. Give them as much room as possible.
I would use just the dirt or your dirt mixed with sand. then plant the area and give them plenty of shaded areas like under daylilies, or spider plants Is it the wire that is buried or do you have a solid barrier dug down 6 or more inches?

desertsss

5 Year Member
It looks as if you have a small yard and in that case totally understandable why it couldn't be a bigger area. I think it is beautiful what you have done.
I would be a little worried about the 6 inches deep if she is as good as a burrier as you say. From what I have heard on here most will bury the sides about a foot down.
All in all I think it is great and it shows you are willing to put in a lot of time and energy, admirable of any tort owner. As far as the planting, then yah just soil I believe. Also, is this just a daytime enclosure or night time as well?

hannah

5 Year Member
Hi! It is on dirt. and you are right, I could use that fourth panel to make it bigger, I do NOT need it next to the house! Space is an issue, that side yard is the best I've got, the rest is highly mfeterizlized lawn( I'm a renter). I am getting closer and closer to getting rid of the bark ANd the sane and moving the earthk, planting those seeds, was kinda hoping for a weigh in from Danny and Jacqui first, lol!
I wanted to do all this today, but OMG, it's 90 degrees here today, man, I miss Portland!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Are you expecting them to eat what you are planting? None of those are russian tort foods...

I'd have some suggestions if you are trying to grow food for them (as well as many lists on here).

Glad the torts like it! With some tweaking I bet it'll be an awesome home.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, here's my two cents worth:

I too, don't like the bark for the reasons listed, but some folks do seem to do okay with it. My Russian pens are just the dirt that was there, nothing added. If I had a really hard pacted down dirt, I might try adding things to get it softer, especially if I were wanting to have eggs laid. Russians normally can dig in just about any soil, it would only be to make a more condusive laying area.

I wondered too at your choice of seeds to plant. I love herbs, but normally my torts don't and once grown in with them, humans shouldn't eat them either. I am a big fan of the daylilies and hostas for tort pens. They normally grow fast, are eatable, and make such wonderful large leaves to hide under. Maybe add in some visual color for you as well as plants for them in the form of some of the smaller flowers from the okay list. If your Russians are like mine, they wipe out their pens quickly, so I also like to keep adding pumpkin/watermelon/squah vines for them.

In a small area, I think I would make an area with small cat litter pans for example, where you can exchange them out as they are eaten down. With several pans being raised up outside the pen, then as needed take out the eaten/trampled pan and put in a new one with nice growth in it's place. Then repeat the cycle.

Okay this worry wart who looks for possible dangers wants to remind you to keep an eye on the temps in there. It looks like the sun may be able to really raise the temp in their, especially with those white looking walls. Is it pure sun at midday? Second part, not knowing your area, do the owners have any treatment for bugs done along the sides of the house?

I do love the fact that you have them out and are using the little bit you have available to the best of your ability. I would try to keep it heavily planted and well watered both to keep it cooler in the warm months and the humidity levels up.

Does it have a lid on it? Thinking your one is a climber correct? Corners especially are easy for them to climb. Plus they would be sitting ducks for a hungry coon or some other critter.

Do I also remember a wood ramp onto a cement block was it? (Too lazy to go back and look). Just wondering if you thought about the tort falling off of it and onto their back...or is it not that high?

Hannah, no pen is ever "finished" in my mind. Everyone is a contant work in progress. You have made a great start. Keep trying new ideas and things to see what works for you and your torts. I am betting your two are very happy with their outside time.

Status
Not open for further replies.