My Enclosures + A Couple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I just moved my two enclosures into my room. They are end to end on a big table (which I got for free when some tenants moved out of my apartment complex and left it by the dumpsters). Here are a few pics:

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Calypso's enclosure is a little barren right now. I had to mostly empty them to move them. I have some more fake plants to put in there, but I'm still trying to find a good way to anchor them.

Anyway, my first question is about the substrate. When I separated Archimedes and built his enclosure, I hoped to go cheaper than coco coir/sand mix because I used 5 bricks for Calypso's enclosure, and his is 2 sq. ft. larger. I am using cypress mulch but I am concerned that it is too course. This picture shows a close up, the water dish is in it for scale purposes and is 8" diameter. Or maybe it's easier to get an idea from the other pictures. I've picked out a few particular large/irregular pieces of wood already. Neither Meijer or Home Depot has anything better. I can make a trip to Lowe's or Menards (they are a bit farther away) if they have something better.

IMG_0174.jpg

Second question involves the lights. I rearranged the lighting and now have one MVB (160W) in the center (the one in the deep dome fixture) that is about 1.5' up, maybe a tad higher. The two smaller fixtures have basking lights to get the temps up higher. Do you think the MVB will spread the UV out enough? If not I can also supplement with a ReptiSun 10.0 compact fluorescent that I have, either permanently or until I get another MVB. Whether I need another MVB now or just for when I need a replacement, where does everyone get Mega Ray or T-Rex? The one I have now is the Zoo Med Power Sun, which seem to be available all over the place.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Thanks!
Travis

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Travis:

Great-looking spot for tortoises. I'm a little worried that they are longer than the table and might be tippy, though. Dumpster diving, huh? One of my very favorite pastimes!

I really, really like cypress mulch. Yes, some of the pieces are kinda' big, but they settle down and it becomes a nice, smooth surface after a bit of tortoise-walking. If you'd really rather find something else, then look for orchid bark. Its also a bark product, fir bark, and its very pure (because orchids can't have additives in their growing medium). I used orchid bark for many years before I discovered cypress mulch.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I agree, you should probably provide the tort boxes with some more stability, otherwise looks good. Nice use of bookshelves.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Both are, as you can see, 3/4 on the table and about 1/4 off, which I think will be fine, but I do plan on doing something else (not yet sure what exactly) with them to be doubly sure.

Dumpster diving, huh? One of my very favorite pastimes!

I wouldn't call it a pastime of mine, but when residents are moving out en masse around here you can find some nice stuff. The enclosure on the right is made from an old hutch, which was another freebie, this time on Craigslist. Only had to drive about a mile to get it, too.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I made my tort table with part of a large entertainment center and cinder blocks. I painted them to match and it looks nice. They are in the corner in a large familyroom. With the cinder blocks it is very stable and was cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.