my DT won't eat anything but grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustytrailzz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi guys, I've only had my tortoise Wickie for about a month. I take him out to graze everyday on our lawn. I found him so I'm unsure what his previous owner was feeding him. He loves the bermuda grass! Unfortunately he will not eat any of the 'goodies' I get him from the farmer's market. I've tried everything and even some hibiscus and roses. He won't touch it. My question is this: Can he live healthy enough on just the fresh green bermuda grass? He really seems to like it. I've even tried putting my store bought greens in the lawn and he passes it by. Should I be giving him some vitamins? He gets out in the sunlight 2-3 hours a day. Any tips on getting him to eat other things? OR should I just let him be? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have several Gopherus agassizii and I don't feed them at all! They live in a large outdoor pen that is planted in Bermuda grass. There is a small Mulberry tree at one end and I occasionally trim off a branch for them to eat. The only time they get any sort of "treat" is if I have to give them medicine (hardly ever). I have had Me-shell for over 35 years. She is my very first tortoise. She has lived all this time on only Bermuda grass.

Yvonne

My desert tortoise pen:

2myfirsttortoisemi-shell.jpg

dustytrailzz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have several Gopherus agassizii and I don't feed them at all! They live in a large outdoor pen that is planted in Bermuda grass. There is a small Mulberry tree at one end and I occasionally trim off a branch for them to eat. The only time they get any sort of "treat" is if I have to give them medicine (hardly ever). I have had Me-shell for over 35 years. She is my very first tortoise. She has lived all this time on only Bermuda grass.

Yvonne

My desert tortoise pen:

2myfirsttortoisemi-shell.jpg

Thank you for your response. Indeed your tortoise looks healthy! I guess I won't worry about it. I would think that my DT would love all the fresh stuff from the farmers market, but I won't waste any more money. When you give them medicine, what do you use for the 'treat'?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
dustytrailzz said:
When you give them medicine, what do you use for the 'treat'?

Right now I'm medicating an Aldabran tortoise. I place the two tablets inside a piece of ripe banana and he eats it right out of my hand.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.