My combined musk turtle and tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
Id like to share some pics of my DIY project consisting of a tortoise table with a low aquarium on top to accommodate my small musk turtles.

Since I live in a small appartement, this solution fitted me well.
The lower tortoise table is a bit small for adult russian tortoises and its main purpose is to house a few hatchlings expected in a few months (hopefully).

Ive decorated the aquarium in a paludarium style with an elevated "river bank". The plants are not yet settled, but hopefully they will create a natural theme in the future.
Let me know what you think !
1a.jpg

1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
That is beautiful!
If i was a musk, i would want to live there.
Very natural

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
really nice !!! totaly looks like a part of nature.
Congrats :)

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
You could sell those! Wholly cow, I could never make something that awesome!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
That is really cool! I just showed it to my turtle and he's jealous ( so thanks for that, now he'll be demanding a new house ;) )

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
wow ,, that is so nice to hear! Thank you all :)

Here are some more photos
3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
That's VERY nicely done...agree with BowandWalter, that you could sell those!

There's a local husband-and-wife team that sell aquariums/terrariums like that, mostly to doctor's and lawyer's offices, I think, for SERIOUS $$$...

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
That's VERY nicely done...agree with BowandWalter, that you could sell those!

There's a local husband-and-wife team that sell aquariums/terrariums like that, mostly to doctor's and lawyer's offices, I think, for SERIOUS $$$...

I would buy one, but then I'd need to buy some turtles.

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
oh thank you all ! :) It´s a really simple construction, very simple to make. I planned to use some kind of drawer first, but i couldnt find any that had the proportions that i wanted, so i decided to just build a simple framework of square boards and strengthen the top to hold the weight of the aquarium. I used the google SketchUp software to make the blueprint and then I build it in my livingroom. I really like low aquariums with a view from the top. Plants always turn their best side towards the top :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I read your title and was very curious and outraged that you were putting a musk turtle with a tortoise...then I saw the pictures and am now outraged that its soo pretty and I don't have a mini marsh/island in my living room.
I don't suppose you could do a video on how you set up the aquarium part? I don't have water turtles anymore but mu toads would love something like that!
Or better yet wanna mail me one? Then I don't have to do the work!

johnschmidt

5 Year Member
Thalatte said:
I read your title and was very curious and outraged that you were putting a musk turtle with a tortoise...then I saw the pictures and am now outraged that its soo pretty and I don't have a mini marsh/island in my living room.
I don't suppose you could do a video on how you set up the aquarium part? I don't have water turtles anymore but mu toads would love something like that!
Or better yet wanna mail me one? Then I don't have to do the work!

Haha ! ye,, i see what you mean,, id be too :)

The tank setup is quite simple. Unfortunately I dont have any photos of the process of building.

Even if im very satisfied with it, I must admit that I was very inspired by another setup a found some years ago.
This guy has made a paludarium that won a prize in the AGA aquascape contest and its just beautiful.

On his website he has a few detailed pictures of how he buildt it. Check it out ! http://zooistaba.id.lv/en

Attachments

• DSC_0722.JPG
    DSC_0722.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0726.JPG
    DSC_0726.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 60

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
That looks awesome I'm very jealous. Except for the fact my musk turtles would climb right out of that and run away :( they love climbing things there not suppose to

Status
Not open for further replies.