107.2 KB · Views: 54
  • leo 2.JPG
    leo 2.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 49

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
What beautiful babies! Is Leo camera shy? lol Thanks for sharing :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Yes he is..lol...hes my newest one...He is so sweet and shy though lol...Thank you...Feel free to forward me pics of yours..I love torts :)

zoogrl said:
What beautiful babies! Is Leo camera shy? lol Thanks for sharing :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love Chewy's legs. Is that straight sand I am seeing under Squirt? Just worried because straight sand may cause impaction, so you may want to change it to something else. They all look very nice. :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
No its play sand. Is that bad? do you recommend something different...

Jacqui said:
I love Chewy's legs. Is that straight sand I am seeing under Squirt? Just worried because straight sand may cause impaction, so you may want to change it to something else. They all look very nice. :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
I adopted him from a lady and gentlman on CL...hes so friendly to...come right to you for attnetion and food. Thank you!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Very pretty babies!

Yes, playsand is not the best thing to keep them on. If they swallow any of it while eating, they can become impacted and very sick. It also is too dry for them, and can stick in their eyes and around their head and legs and be irritating.

Some great substrates are cypress mulch (you can use the big bags from a store like Home Depot or Lowes, they cost $2-3,) coconut coir (sold at petstores in a brick under the names Bed A Beast or EcoEarth, or orchid bark (can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or other garden supply stores.) You want a substrate that will hold some humidity, but not be soaking wet. For my adult tortoises I use a mix of cypress mulch and coco coir, and for my babies I use strait coco coir. A lot of people prefer the orchid bark, it is similar to the cypress mulch but much smaller pieces.

finleafeater said:
holy cow! your russian is so nice and light! how on earth did you find one liek that?

That looks to me like a captive bred russian that hasn't had any sunlight :) It is lighter than normal to begin with, but because it hasn't been exposed to sunlight, it never developed the darker melanin that most outdoor tortoises do, so it remained very blonde. :)

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
thank you...I will go this weekend and pick some of that up. The people at the reptile show told me playsand was the best for them cause it pre-clean and prevents shell rott

Very pretty babies!

Yes, playsand is not the best thing to keep them on. If they swallow any of it while eating, they can become impacted and very sick. It also is too dry for them, and can stick in their eyes and around their head and legs and be irritating.

Some great substrates are cypress mulch (you can use the big bags from a store like Home Depot or Lowes, they cost $2-3,) coconut coir (sold at petstores in a brick under the names Bed A Beast or EcoEarth, or orchid bark (can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or other garden supply stores.) You want a substrate that will hold some humidity, but not be soaking wet. For my adult tortoises I use a mix of cypress mulch and coco coir, and for my babies I use strait coco coir. A lot of people prefer the orchid bark, it is similar to the cypress mulch but much smaller pieces.

finleafeater said:
holy cow! your russian is so nice and light! how on earth did you find one liek that?

That looks to me like a captive bred russian that hasn't had any sunlight :) It is lighter than normal to begin with, but because it hasn't been exposed to sunlight, it never developed the darker melanin that most outdoor tortoises do, so it remained very blonde. :)
[/quote]

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Sweetness_bug said:
thank you...I will go this weekend and pick some of that up. The people at the reptile show told me playsand was the best for them cause it pre-clean and prevents shell rott

Very pretty babies!

finleafeater said:

Yeah, I got it from a lady on CL...Its my first russian. she sd its a very rare yellow russian. Hes very active and pretty..

Status
Not open for further replies.