My 2 new Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
Hi all! I've got 2 new baby Greeks that I'd love to know more about. The lighter one is Tweek; the darker one is Cujo. Sorry about the lack of size reference, but they're about 2 1/2 inches long.

I'd love to know subspecies and (if possible) sex and approx age. Thanks for your expertise!

Attachments

• Tweek 1.jpg
    Tweek 1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Tweek 2.jpg
    Tweek 2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Tweek 3.jpg
    Tweek 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
  • Tweek 4.jpg
    Tweek 4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Tweek 5.jpg
    Tweek 5.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Tweek 6.jpg
    Tweek 6.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Cujo 1.jpg
    Cujo 1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 32
  • Cujo 2.jpg
    Cujo 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Cujo 3.jpg
    Cujo 3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Cujo 4.jpg
    Cujo 4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Cujo 6.jpg
    Cujo 6.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cujo 5.jpg
    Cujo 5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 20

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know anything about Greeks so I am sure someone will assist you soon. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum..

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I'm gonna guess they are... Testudo graeca ibera and both are females... kinda young but taking a guess :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They look to be Ibera Greek tortoises, Testudo gracea ibera. At 2 1/2" they could be anywhere from 10 months to almost two years old depending upon how they are maintained for before you received them. They're still a bit too small to accurately determine gender.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
GBtortoises said:
They look to be Ibera Greek tortoises, Testudo gracea ibera. At 2 1/2" they could be anywhere from 10 months to almost two years old depending upon how they are maintained for before you received them. They're still a bit too small to accurately determine gender.

I figured that they were too young to tell on sex. They came from Tortoise Shack, which I think means they should have been well cared for.

The last thing I'm trying to figure out is substrate. First went with Aspen Shavings - didn't like it, tho the guyzos seemed ok with it (the humidity was too low, too - 10 - 20%.) Yesterday I got some topsoil and sand from Lowes. Mixed it together ~ 80/20 and it worked great ... until I saw a tiny little bug crawling on it. So, after work I'm on my way to Petsmart to find something else, and the dirt is getting dumped the minute I get home. I have a text doc I put together with 12 different suggestions on subtrate / combinations of substrate. I have to admit I'm thoroughly confused. I have no problem with dirt, but need to know a safe way of getting it indoors without dealing with bugs.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Just about any organic substrate that you use is at some point going to produce some bugs. In most cases, to eliminate bugs completely and forever requires chemicals. If you're looking for "sterile" it's next to impossible to find a substrate suitable for tortoises that is sterile. Then it's not only not organic anymore, but potentially dangerous to the tortoises. Any of the acceptable substrates that I've seen for sale at PetSmart and Petco are also organic. Most of the substrates they sell are bark based (cypress, etc...) which is not ideal for young tortoises. Stay away from the calci-sand that they're going to try to convince you to purchase!
I don't think that Aspen shavings or any other "dry" based substrates are acceptable for young tortoises, only adults. Hydration, substrate moisture content and ambient air humidity are all very important to growing Northern Mediterranean species and many others.
For young, growing tortoises I use a mixture of 65-70% organic topsoil or potting soil mixed with about 20% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum moss and leaf litter. Even the coconut coir probably isn't necessary but it seems to keep the soil from getting to compacted and also from drying out so much between sprayings. I spray the substrate fairly heavily with water twice daily and saturate and churn it once weekly to keep moisture trapped within the substrate.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use a organic soil for mine and it's very slightly humid and I personally have never had problems of bugs..

Status
Not open for further replies.