My 1st home built tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Here is a photo of my first ever tortoise enclosure for my new yearling sulcata tortoise.

He's got plenty of room to roam. I will furnish the place a bit more once I figure out how well he gets around, dont want him tipping over!

FredricksHome.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Looks Really good. An idea for floreuscent fixture, I use white rain gutter material cut to size.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Thats a great idea!
i was still thinkin of an ideal way to cover it

that will work great!
;)
thanx

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
That is trick taught me by an old betta breeder. Suprising how hobbies often interrelate.

S

stells

i'm a bit confused by this enclosure to be honest,
is it completely covered? if so you aren't going to get good air circulation and it will just be like a viv and how is the UV fixed is it above the cover or below it?
also you are losing alot of heat from your redbulb down the side of the table.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
stells said:
i'm a bit confused by this enclosure to be honest,
is it completely covered? if so you aren't going to get good air circulation and it will just be like a viv and how is the UV fixed is it above the cover or below it?
also you are losing alot of heat from your redbulb down the side of the table.

It is a screened cover,
I have a cat that would likely crawl in thinking it was his litterbox if i did not,

I have moved the light so it covers mover of the end of the enclosure since this photo was taken. ( that photo was minutes after moving it into location and heat gradient tests were not 100% completed. so Its been tweaked.

As for air circulation, there is a fan blowing 1.5 ft above the enclosure 24/7 to ensure more air is circulated then there would be otherwise.

I have considered adding a small fan ( similar to the fans inside a computer ) to the lid on a low setting but considering he was in a total glass vivarium with a much denser screen lid where I got him, id say he's gotten quite an upgrade in space. ;)

My young sulcata was eating and drinking well yesterday.. he's still sleeping at the moment but seems happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.