MVB

Tort1419

Hey guys I'm having a big indoor tortoise tortoise enclosure. I'm thinking about at one end of it I will just need one MVB. Is this correct. Since it is a MVB how far away does it need to be from the tortoise. Btw my enclosure is in the shape of an L. and the MVB will be at the end Of the L.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
There is no one answer; the distance for the mvb depends on the bulb. Ideally, you'd use a meter to set the distance. But without one you can use the manufacturer's recommendation as a rough guide.

The idea of an all in one bulb is fantastic; the sun is all in one after all. But in practice they don't deliver. Fine tuning for temperature often comes at the expense of uvb (or vice versa). I think using multiple/separate devices for heat, uvb, and ambient lighting is preferable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With the 'L' shape, you'd probably be better served using a tube-type fluorescent bulb for the UVB. I'd mount the tube on the long side of the 'L'. Then you can use any kind of heat wherever you need it. You may even need two heat sources to keep the whole 'L' warm enough.

Tort1419

@Yvonne G both the sides of the L are they same distance. I'm thinking about having 2 uvb strip lights on on both sides of the L. The are going to be lying on a screen. The screen is going to consist of really big metal squares. The squares are like 1in by 1 in. Will this cause a problem with the uv getting to the tort. I will also mount my basking light on the metal 1in by 1in screen. Also is thee such thing as too much uvb, is there a way the tortoise could get too much UVB

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
If you can, use something to keep it covered so your heat and humidity stays in. I used plexiglass on most of my enclosure, and then a heavy towel on the end closest to the heat source.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You can just cover the areas that dont have the heat source over it. Some people hang them. I put a bar across the housing and wrapped the cord around it so it was hanging. You can set your heat source with a thermostat. If you set it at 95, the heat source will turn off.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It shouldn't get too hot. Your ate a should be set up with four temperatures; basking temp, ambient temperature, cool side, and night time temperature.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I'll have to do it later. They're on my laptop. My sulcata outgrew the terrarium a while ago, so I'll get back to you. Hopefully others can chime in soon! You can look up enclosures on the search menu, there's many great ideas.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I couldn't find any pictures of the tank like I thought I did. My tank is 5 feet long by 18 inches wide. I don't use it anymore so it just sits in my shop. You'll be able to cover orb easily if it's an L shape.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I found one. The end with the lights had a towel over it. If you look closely, you'll see plexiglass.

Attachments

• 1436575606939.jpg
    1436575606939.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 28