musk turtle

squirt0314

i have purchased two musk turtles and i was wondering if anyone else recommends using a basking light the place i bought them said they probably wouldn't use one however i have read mixed reviews? also should i put alot of water or enough so they can walk along bottom of tank and still stick their heads out of the water?

:tort::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have always offered the info that mud/musk turtles are not good swimmers, preferring to walk along the bottom, then up the hill to breathe, and we really shouldn't make them swim. However, every time I say that someone comes along and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. So, use your own judgement. I don't make mine swim.

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
I have 2 musk turtles and I sometimes see them sit on the bottom but they also like to float just below the water surface with their nose up for air. they have a couple spots to bask and I normally only see them there at night. Just give them a variety of options with plants and basking areas and they'll figure out what they prefer.

Gangreene

5 Year Member
So. Cal.
In the wild Musk turtles can and will climb up a branch sticking out of the water, I have seen them several feet above the water sunning and sleeping at night.You need to provide them the ability to get out of the water.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
They do bask do provide basking spots. Yvonne is correct that they "crawl" way more than swimming. Provide a network of branches/plants to climb on with water 6"-18" for a happy healthy musk turtle.