Razor backed musk turtle activity...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I thought razor backed musk turtles were active during the DAY and slept at NIGHT, but Nelson is basically the opposite: he sleeps all day and goes crazy after dark!

Anybody else notice this behavior in razor backed musk turtles? He's just over 6 months old.

Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So why are you sitting staring at your turtle all night? LOL!!! Just kidding.
This is interesting and I would also like to know if any turtles are active at night - seeing that they need UV light and that is sunlight!!??

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
That's funny! I wonder if Nelson is somehow picking up on how HOT it can be outdoors this time of year. Before it rains, anyway.

For whatever it's worth, Bold and Pinstripe have been snoozing (or at least lying low) during the middle of the day, lately, too.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
So why are you sitting staring at your turtle all night? LOL!!! Just kidding.
This is interesting and I would also like to know if any turtles are active at night - seeing that they need UV light and that is sunlight!!??
In nature, the types of turtles that don't bask as much tend to have diets that are usually higher in protein (animal matter). They typically get the D3 they need from their diets.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My Razorbacks are most active in the evening in my pond. When I throw food in in the morning, I rarely see them. But in the evening when we feed everyone and sit with our glass of wine, the razorbacks come out and patrol along the windows of the pond looking for their food. They do seem most active in the evening and into the night. I'll see them walking all over the bottom until quite late. IN the daytime, they stay in their favorite hides.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was thinking about this post, and, Last night as we were sitting by the pond enjoying the 77° evening at 11PM...

IMG_0812.jpg

I wanted to check for my razorbacks and see what they were up to. I saw my male and one of the females back behind my seat when I got up to check. Some nighttime activity for sure!

IMG_0937.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Razorbacks are most active in the evening in my pond. When I throw food in in the morning, I rarely see them. But in the evening when we feed everyone and sit with our glass of wine, the razorbacks come out and patrol along the windows of the pond looking for their food. They do seem most active in the evening and into the night. I'll see them walking all over the bottom until quite late. IN the daytime, they stay in their favorite hides.
Thanks- good to know! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I was thinking about this post, and, Last night as we were sitting by the pond enjoying the 77° evening at 11PM...

View attachment 277087

I wanted to check for my razorbacks and see what they were up to. I saw my male and one of the females back behind my seat when I got up to check. Some nighttime activity for sure!

View attachment 277086
Oh, MY!!!!! Your place is a little slice of HEAVEN!!!!!:):<3::<3::<3:
And...erm...yes: "activity" for sure! Babies coming later!!!! :D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh, MY!!!!! Your place is a little slice of HEAVEN!!!!!:):<3::<3::<3:
And...erm...yes: "activity" for sure! Babies coming later!!!! :D
Its really hard for me to catch them nesting. They are very cryptic nesters and seem to do that at night as well. I find babies in the fall - so I know they are nesting!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

View attachment 277087

View attachment 277086
Some night time hanky panky going on there for sure!