Munster's coming out post

Blkjkoknhrt

So, I’m skulking through the pet store after finding out they are out of the wood chips I need for Saddleback Brown. A flash of movement catches my eye, and that’s unusual in the reptile displays. I take a closer look and I see this tiny tortoise (aka turtle – a tortoise is a turtle, but a turtle is not necessarily a tortoise) racing (for a tortoise) around its enclosure, which was about 12” square, paper towelled on the bottom, with a water dish and a small plate of chopped greens.
HHMmm, Hermann’s Tortoise, it is $EXPENSIVE, and after a few minutes I was totally captivated. I know what chelonians need, both land and water, and neither are easy or cheap to keep.
Nonetheless, I started skulking with a purpose. I knew I needed the UVB3 lamp to get going, so I picked one up, along with a few other things for fun and maintenance.
The owner, Lance, assisted me and pointed out a few things to watch for and answered my questions. The heat light fixture had a stand included and a dimmer on the power cord, both useful features. I held off on vitamins for today but did buy a cuttlebone to grate onto food and they were selling opuntia pads, so I bought a couple of those.
Then, off we went, tortoise under coat, and supplies in hand.
Once home, I set up the 10 gallon tank (20X10 inches, about 40X25 cm) exactly as at pet store, and put Munster in (Hermann’s tortoise, Munster Hermann, Hermann Munster, get it?) with 2 hiding spots, 2 flat 6-inch logs to climb on and a small water dish.
See pic #635 + 640, day 1, December 14th, 2014 approximately 7:00 pm.
I offered some romaine lettuce, tortoise pellets and opuntia (cactus pads) on a yellow silicone coaster, and he tucked right in. He didn’t eat the pellets, though. The he crawled into the smaller hide and I turned off the lights.

Muster was 16 grams in weight, and just 37 mm long on Dec 14, 2014. This makes him less than 3 months old upon arrival. -

Next - enclosures from the beginning to the present - see ENCLOSURES next

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 51

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Cute little thing!!!

Blkjkoknhrt

Well written story. Can you post a photo of the "pellets"? Most of those are horrible. (Especially the brightly colored ones.)
Those pellets are long gone. they looked like one of those horrible SwHartz Mountain or TeHagan brands made for the masses. I bought some Mazuri on reputation but was not impressed, neither was my tortoise. If you're in Canada I'll mail you the bag. I've learned a lot and have been greatly confused by the same conflicting knowledge, so am taking everything with a grain of salt and a ton of common sense. I'll post some more of my and Munster's learning experiences, I've had many reptiles but none so "calm and responsive" as a tortoise. I LOVE IT/HIM!

This was tank 2 - 24X18" plastic tub - fell in love with open top design

Enough gushing...seeyou in the forum

Attachments

• IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 28

Blkjkoknhrt

So next came the Tub, as described, about 24" X 18" X 10" deep. I used coconut soil and reptile bark chips, a substrate I use to this day. He hadda waterdish, hide cave, food center and heat spot with a Fluorescent UVB3 bulb for lights and vites. The pic is missing the UVB, for sightline's sake.
Next was diet. WHAT a conflict! Lists, lists, everywhere lists with the same plants on different lists... grocery, weeds, hay, pellets, herbs, houseplants, MAN, desperation drove me to grocery store with a push for variety. I knew it wasn't the best, but I knew it was wholesome and wouldn't poison him if I fed him wrong. BUT this started "Tortoise Gardens". more about this little escapade later.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 21

Prairie Mom

Hi Paul:D <Chrissy waves from across the internet>
I love this thread you started. I'm so glad you are sharing your whole story here:) It's great fun to read. I look forward to more !

Blkjkoknhrt

The tub is working well. It gives Munster a little more room and translucent walls to keep the stress down. I’m also using a real substrate – bark chips and coconut soil, herein and hereafter called coir. The substrate is about 2”, just deep enuff to bury in. He also has a 24” fluorescent UVB3 tube, (Arcadia brand says D3 12% UVB3) hung 4” off substrate, a 100w spotlight, a food plate, water dish and 1 or 2 hides, depending on which he’s hiding in when I clean. See pic 0657 and 0988.
Food consists of grocery food, kale, bok choy, radicchio, endive, beet tops, white and red chard, opuntia cactus, chia sprouts, supplemented with calcium carbonate, cuttlebone dust and Repashy Superfood Plus Calcium formula – not a food, but a supplement powder mainly calcium and minerals.
I fed several times a day, but smaller amounts. I quickly realized tortoises are opportunistic grazers and will desperately stuff themselves while food id available, returning again and again to the food site to reload. I feed about 4 to 10g of mixed greens in about 4 feedings, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on Munster’s wake cycle. He heats up fast in the tub once the lights go on, so is eating within ½ hour of waking and basking to temp. He still hates being soaked, “stands” against the side of the dish. He DOES pee, and sometimes drinks (questionable, if he’s peeing in it…) but I think he does it begrudgingly just because he’s wet. I mist the tub, almost 3/4 quart a day, spray-soaking Munster when I catch him early enough. He loves to be misted but it drops his body temp something scary, even with warm water.
Overall, Munster’s gaining weight at an alarming rate, I will slow drop the food QTY and try to up the fiber in his diet. One thing is I bought some compressed timothy hay (apparently a low-protein hay) cubes for rodents and grated them to powder. Then I sprinkle it on wet greens, and he gobbles it up. I found he’ll accept any supplement as long as its MINIMALLY applied, then you can apply more often instead of giving a lump of gritty or medicine-y food once a week.
That’s it for the tub, day by day, Minster is beginning to push the limits and pace the perimeter…more room is needed soon…

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 14

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Check the temperature of your soak water with a thermometer. It should be the same temp as his enclosure.
If it feels even a LITTLE bit warm to YOU, it's probably too hot for him!

Blkjkoknhrt

thks, will do, but the radiant thermometer saysa ony 75F - wii check actual water temp but this is a flaw...