Mozambique mini leopards

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Was awesome seeing this little girl lay some eggs. She originally came from a lineage of Mozambique babcocki Leo's bred by a private breeder with wild caught Mozambique. If anyone has ever seen pure Mozambique Leo's your in for a treat. They are the smallest of the phylogeographic pardalis lineages. Males will stay around 6-7" females the 10" would be a monster. Unfortunately the breeder only has a 1.2 so no possibility of not inbreeding this locale. These eggs will be infertile as well as she's not kept with a male. But interesting to see the difference in her eggs and clutch sizes. Firth clutch was 4 (2broken) eggs second clutch was 3 eggs. They're oblong like a Hingeback or fat pancake egg unlike the spherical typical leopards. Anyways. Pretty cool seeing the differences in Leo's. Too bad can't find her a male unrelated to produce offspring.

She's 12 years old and wee. The friend I got her from has 3 more that are 5 years old and barely over 4" wee Leo's.
image.jpg

And egg comparison Mozambique is the top oblong one.
image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting, Kelly. I didn't know these exist. I wonder if Tomas (can't think of his last name) can find you a male?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wow, she is small. I like the bigger leopards but this type would be great for those that like the smaller! Bummer they aren't readily available

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Learning something all the time on here. I have never heard of these either. I would agree with Yvonne, maybe Tomas could find you one or so. It would be nice to see some more of these being bred.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Interesting, Kelly. I didn't know these exist. I wonder if Tomas (can't think of his last name) can find you a male?
I can get a male it will just be related unfortunately. Which I will not do any inbreeding. The man who produces these too has only successfully hatched them out of the ground as well. He got a 2.2 back in the early 90s and lost one of the males and never replaced that male. So kinda a dead end. She's a cool pet though. Very active little leopard. Would be cool finding a male for her though. They're very small. She only weighs like 5 pounds.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Learning something all the time on here. I have never heard of these either. I would agree with Yvonne, maybe Tomas could find you one or so. It would be nice to see some more of these being bred.
Well these eggs will be infertile. Can't import in any. There a banned species like Belliana and sulcatas because of the heart water tick or whatever the tick caused USDA to ban those species back in 2000. He very rarely sells any. Only to so we hat close people he knows. Also they lay as you can see very small clutches and he's only had success hatching them from the ground. Never in an incubator. Makes me want to move to Arizona or southern Cali like him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why are you against 'in-breeding'? Happens all the time in other animals. Horse people do it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Why are you against 'in-breeding'? Happens all the time in other animals. Horse people do it.
Ehhhh I know. But it's just weird to me. Especially if it's intentional. I've been debating adding the 1.2 from my friend but it's just weird for me to inbreed. I do suppose having two adult females that they would be partially related as they're different mothers but same father.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So do dog people. But how good is it really for the animals? I think many of the issues with horses and dogs are caused by the inbreeding of closely related animals. any entry-level genetics class shows you how bad that can be. Intentionally inbreeding generation after generation can only lead to problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think a couple generations of in breeding or line breeding would be ok. It's when you continue the practice through subsequent generations that you run into problems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with Yvonne. Doing it once or twice is okay, but then your going to need new blood in there. Still it buys you more time. Would be a more of a shame to NOT breed them and have the line die out in my opinion.

kyle rosenthal

I actually picked up a bunch of these this year from the same breeder im sure your talking about. They have to be my favorite leopards so far if you ever feel the need to sell the female you have id be interested in her.