Moving..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
Okay, so as some know i am moving to North Dakota.
My mother has agreed Harvey can go with me, after seeing him get to excited after seeing me today she couldn't imagine his life with out me. She noticed when i was visiting Houston, TX that he got really depressed and would hardly eat and when i returned he ate like a pig :p...
Sorry i digress. :tort:
I am not sure how to move him best, his enclosure is a 55 gallon rubbermaid. it will be in the car but i dont want to have him bouncing around in something so spacious. i was thinking a smaller clear container with sand for padding but i dont want to stress him out not only with the move but the change with his cage do... ugh what do i do? :p
Also i would love to double check his gender, i was told he was male due to the hook on his tail.... maybe. also the bottom of his shell is 3 1/2 inches. he is a russian about how old would that be?

Attachments

• 0628122052.jpg
    0628122052.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 0628122052a.jpg
    0628122052a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 0628122052b.jpg
    0628122052b.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 0628122053.jpg
    0628122053.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 33

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I would place him in a smaller container that he can't see out. If the container is clear he might get stressed. Something with a lid also would be beneficial for traveling. They tend to remain calm along the way. I would not use sand for transporting...I would use grass hay and be prepared to change it out if you are traveling a distance because he will use the bathroom...oh the joy of car rides with tortoises:). Yes male:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a great and fun tail....in the third pic he does not look pleased that you are showing off his goods....lol...although I am not good with guessing the sex of a tort by the tail....I would say maybe female (remember, this is a guess from someone who sucks at guessing...lol)...but wait around for the others who are in the know about russians....:D

I would suggest a smaller container as well, a dark box lined with a fluffy cotton towel will work as well and will work as a shock absorber and a grab handle for the sharp turns and stops.... :D

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I would suggeest a smaller container as well. When I take Bowser with me places I have her in a small plastic tub with hay on the bottom. I've used this method since she was about a year old. She's really used to car rides now and knows to just lay down till we get to where we are going.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. This is some great advice, i think i have a container that will work as to what y'all are describing. So male.. and he is for sure Russian,... the lady i got him from didn't know much she just on a whim bought her kids a tortoise no research no nothing. He kids didn't like him at all and never interacted with him, or took him out of his cage. i think he had one soaking experience and with the way he acts i would say it wasn't a good one. I just want what is best for him. He means the world to me, i mean i canceled my flight and decided to drive just so he would have to be stressed on planes. I have heard that animals are as up-kept as needed be and aren't handled as well as they should be. So... please help me get it right. I know that i don't know everything but i am learning as fast as i can.

Also does anyone see any signs of health issues?? , he saw a vet about 6 months ago but i don't think the vet knew much about tortoises.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes he is a Russian:) The pictures of him look good and although I don't see any visible signs of concern, pictures aren't the best assessment of that. A vet (herp) would for sure know best.

MyBoyHarvey

5 Year Member
TortieLuver said:
Yes he is a Russian:) The pictures of him look good and although I don't see any visible signs of concern, pictures aren't the best assessment of that. A vet (herp) would for sure know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.