moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello all :) I am newly engaged, and my fiance and I are moving from Florida to Alaska over the summer. We are driving up to Washington, then catching a ferry from there to Anchorage, then will be in the car for another day to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Is it possible to bring my Russian, Karloff, with me on this long-distance trip, and how well will he be able to survive in Fairbanks' negative temperatures in wintertime?

Attachments

• karloff.jpg
    karloff.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 34

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a very experienced turtle person living in Alaska. I realize its a big state, and I don't know exactly where she lives, but if you contact her, I'm sure she can give you some pointers. Do a GOOGLE search for Mary at the Turtle Puddle. Her name is Mary Hopson.

floridakat85

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
There is a very experienced turtle person living in Alaska. I realize its a big state, and I don't know exactly where she lives, but if you contact her, I'm sure she can give you some pointers. Do a GOOGLE search for Mary at the Turtle Puddle. Her name is Mary Hopson.

Thanks! I found her and sent her an email, hopefully she will be able to help me out :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Katie. You've asked for opinions, so I will share mine. I don't think Alaska is a very good place for a tortoise. They thrive on being outdoors and warming themselves in the sun. Is it possible to keep them alive? Yes. A russian would be one of the best to try it with, but personally, I wouldn't do it. To me its like seeing a Saint Bernard or Siberian Husky in Southern Florida or Phoenix, AZ. Its just not the right environment for them.

Just so you know I say the same thing to people who live in the frozen parts of the US about sulcatas. Certainly, not everyone agrees with me, as there are lots of sulcatas living indoors in really cold areas.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
I don't see how it would be all that different than keeping a tort indoors in other parts of the U.S. As long as it has heat lamps and you have a backup for warmth in case you lose power (which will inevitably happen at some point) your tort should be fine. Fairbanks is HOT by Alaska standards in the summer, and on occasion the temp will hit high enough where you could bring your buddy outside for a little natural sunlight. So I would say its possible, maybe not ideal, but possible. I am not sure how customs will feel about taking your pet with you. I know that you need to have certain documents signed by a vet to take dogs or cats with you, so I would imagine you'd need the same for a tort. (I've never taken the ferry up, so I am not sure exactly how it works)

Enjoy the trip up there, and make sure you get some good winter gear for yourselves (carhartts and bunny boots are a staple). Fairbanks is bone-chillingly- painful cold in the winter, and unlike your tort I am sure you will have to venture outside in 40+ below temps. :)

dagloman

5 Year Member
The internet is an amazing place. One day you get online to look at the pictures of a turtle pen you built for your girlfriend of 3 years just a month and a half ago and you read a post that she's engaged to the guy she left you for and moving 4,000 miles away in a few months. She's never seen snow, or lived on her own and gets cold in Florida at 50 degrees, much less negative 50.

I'd say this. Your family loves animals and you have a great indoor/outdoor setup in Florida. Since you've seen this guy 4 times in the last 4 years, got engaged to a military guy in less than 30 days after being with me for 3 years and have decided to leave your job, family, friends, to move somewhere for years where you'd know 1 person and still even showed up at my house at 6am last night, I'd say for Karloff's sake, leave him with the family until you get your head straight. It sounds like you've jumped off the deep end and there's no reason to put the turtle in the middle of it. I'm real sorry to hear this, it's crushing and in reality I wish I hadn't got online and saw it. Can't believe you'd still come here and not tell me this or do it at all. It's the most irrational thing I've ever heard from the most logical person I've ever known.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi dagloman:

Even though it sounds like a pretty unhappy time, I still want to welcome you to the forum!!

If either of you has any more to say on this subject, please take it to the PM area. Its none of our business.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Florida to Alaska.. Id be more worried about you adjusting then your tort! HA! wow.. that is an extreme Difference.. Let us know how it goes for all of you!
As for the tort.. its a russian,, so you should be able to house him ok inside. Even tho they do better outside.. be prepared for power outages, or how to keep him 'warm' enough during hibernation, so as not to freeze.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I took a cruise to alaska once, while I do not like the cold, it was a awesome place to visit. I honestly don't know how a tortoise would react to the cold, but I wish you luck in your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.