Moving: transporting advice???

caity_tay

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
In 30 days we are moving 6 hours. What's the best way to move my hatchling Sulcata? Once we get there, I can get his lights hooked up and all of that. I'm most concerned what he needs during the drive. Will he need a light source? Will be be ok in the car for 6 hours in a smaller box with a substrate and hide? We live in Texas so it's hot, and I'll have my air conditioner blasting to keep the cats and ferret in carriers in the backseat cool. Will my tort be too cool that way?? Any advice please!

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would give him the substrate and hide and put a lid on the box, with just a little vent in the lid. You don't want him getting too cold from the AC. He doesn't need a light. I would give him a soak just before you go, so he won't need water either until you get to where your going.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would be much more worried about overheating, even with the air conditioning. Make sure the box will be out of the sun.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Definitely will keep him out of the sun! Would on the floorboard be ok?
I'm saying no to this one since there is a chance it might get hurt by something falling and sudden stops. Also, won't he flip in the car? Good luck!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
And if he does it in your car you probably won't be happy :)

caity_tay

East Texas
Definitely will keep him out of the sun! Would on the floorboard be ok?
Ok, so the seat is gonna be in the sun...But he needs to be out of the sun? I've got three cat carriers and the ferret carrier crammed in the back seat. And I've got my fish in a cooler in the front seat hooked up to an adapter in my cigarette lighter so they can have their aerator. Where would the best place to put the tort be??