Moving outside full time.

Jeff 619

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Poway,CA
Hello all,
Im curious on when the make the move outside full-time.
My Leopards tortoise stats are.

Dipper is going to be 3 year old this year and is pushing 10 inches and 3 1/2 pounds.

Mable is 8 1/2 inches into pounds and also going to be 3 as well.

They both have been living in a close chamber for the last 2 1/2 years with temps over 80 at night and humidity never dropping below 65%

Any advice, suggestions dos and donts would be much appreciated
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They must have a heated place to go into when temps are cooler and for night time sleeping. They also need to be in their own enclosures as a pair will not get along.
How do you know one is Male and one is female? Unless the Male flashed you they could possibly still be too young to sex. Either way they need their own enclosures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are big enough to go outside full time right now. I like to do this gradually, and right now is the BEST time of year to do it. Start putting them in their outdoor enclosure for a few hours a day in nice weather. Supposed to rain tomorrow, but warm and sunny after that. As spring progresses, leave them out longer and longer, but still bring them in at night to sleep in their humid closed chamber. In this way, they will get used to the enclosure and the drier weather gradually instead of all at once in a shock to the system.

Since you only have two, they should be separated, so here is one example of a night box and enclosure design that works well for that:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...g-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/

If its easier to have separate enclosures that don't share a common wall, here is a good box size and heating strategy for a single tortoise:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

In spring and fall when we have warm sunny days, I set the thermostat to 80 in the box. In our hot summers I set it at 70. In winter, I set the thermostat to 86 so they always have a warm place to go on a cooler rainy winter day. I add water tubs to the night box to give them some moderate humidity, and having the enclosure planted and watered heavily will help a lot with the summer heat and dryness. Down where you are, hibiscus bushes should do well. Look into blue hibiscus, cape honeysuckle, lavatera, and of course, all the regular hibiscus. Plant lots of bushes incase some of it doesn't do well for some reason. I like to plant grape vines along fences and enclosure edges too. The grape leaves are excellent tortoise food, plus you get summer shade and winter sun since the leaves all drop off. If it works for your location, meaning if you can do it away from the house or any structures, plant a fruitless mulberry tree. Again, great tortoise food, full deep shade all summer long, and it drops all its leaves for full winter sunshine and warmth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello all,
Im curious on when the make the move outside full-time.
My Leopards tortoise stats are.

Dipper is going to be 3 year old this year and is pushing 10 inches and 3 1/2 pounds.

Mable is 8 1/2 inches into pounds and also going to be 3 as well.

They both have been living in a close chamber for the last 2 1/2 years with temps over 80 at night and humidity never dropping below 65%

Any advice, suggestions dos and donts would be much appreciated
Thanks
Can you post a few pics?

Jeff 619

5 Year Member
Poway,CA
0C762863-D393-41B5-9693-790BAEAC3DA8.jpeg E1054288-743D-48D7-A60B-343F234410F9.jpeg Finally got around to building there outdoor enclosure. I got away with using all my old material from their other enclosure Thanks for all your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Finally got around to building there outdoor enclosure. I got away with using all my old material from their other enclosure Thanks for all your help!
You'll need to line the inside with plywood, or the tortoise will wreck the insulation.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Agreed...you need to line the interior to protect your insulation.

I lined my interior plywood with vinyl flooring &trust me, it shows definite signs of wear from my leopard tortoise scratching in the corners.

Jeff 619

5 Year Member
Poway,CA
The plywood was installed after picture was taken.
Do you guys change the day temp from the night temp in the box?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The plywood was installed after picture was taken.
Do you guys change the day temp from the night temp in the box?
I don't. I unplug it in the hot summers. 80 in spring and fall. 86 in winter.