Moving (hibernation question)

Luis Taveras0

So this December I will be moving away from my home into my new home at Montgomery Township Somerset County, New Jersey and I was wondering if there is going to be any concerns about my boxie being forced to hibernate due to the cold temperature in new york?

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have no experience with box turtles or hibernation (yet). But many members hibernate their tortoises and i don't think it will be a problem. But I honestly have no experience. @ColleenT has boxies, I'm not sure if she hibernates them during winter but maybe she will jump in and help.
Try looking for a couple hibernation threads on the forum. I know some let their torts hibernate in fridges (this is what I plan on doing next year) and some let them hibernate themselves outside.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
With the size and health of the box turtle you Have, I WOULD NOT HIBERNATE IT. You've been given a lot of useful information that you haven't given to that baby box turtle... Hard truth is, you should've left it in the wild in New York where you found it.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So this December I will be moving away from my home into my new home at Montgomery Township Somerset County, New Jersey and I was wondering if there is going to be any concerns about my boxie being forced to hibernate due to the cold temperature in new york?

Hello Luis, there is no need to hibernate your turtle. 1. IMO your box turtle is too small to hibernate. 2. I've seen another thread where your box turtle looks a bit stressed. No Captive turtle that is under weight, showing signs of being sick(swollen eyes, fluid or bubbles of nose, gasping of air, lethargic, skin infections, etc), or under the age of 3(box turtles under 3 inches) should be hibernated in my open. Long answer there is no reason to hibernate your box turtle.

Luis Taveras0

Hello Luis, there is no need to hibernate your turtle. 1. IMO your box turtle is too small to hibernate. 2. I've seen another thread where your box turtle looks a bit stressed. No Captive turtle that is under weight, showing signs of being sick(swollen eyes, fluid or bubbles of nose, gasping of air, lethargic, skin infections, etc), or under the age of 3(box turtles under 3 inches) should be hibernated in my open. Long answer there is no reason to hibernate your box turtle.
That photo that I took of him was 2 months ago when I had no substrate for him as I was a starter to this and had no idea what I was doing I have changed his terrarium around and will update and what he looks like now

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That would be great Luis! Let's see how your baby is doing now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I hope so,....it looked good a little over one month ago when he first found it asking what type of tortoise it was. If it's all better now my apologies

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
That photo that I took of him was 2 months ago when I had no substrate for him as I was a starter to this and had no idea what I was doing I have changed his terrarium around and will update and what he looks like now

I agree with Craig, if your box turtle is doing better since its been in your care we salute you! I will give you an atta boy! This doesn't change my thoughts on hibernating it. Are you excited about your move Luis? Good Luck!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Sorry i did not know any background info about the boxie.
Now that i know a little, i would suggest that you do not hibernate him. If he was sick, even if its been 2-3 months since he's been better i still would not. Also, its recommended that new tort owners should give at least a year of care before thinking about hibernating. Ive had my russian torts since feburary and i dont plan on hibernating until next winter (earliest). One of mine had bad parasites and is light/small in my opinion, and with that, I definitely would not hibernate him until another 2 years maybe.
Good luck though! Im sure your boxie is doing better now that you've found this forum

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i agree with everybody elses opinion of not hibernating your box turtle . i wouldn't hibernate a young turtle like that until it spent an entire summer and fall living outside ...the greatest food intake for these guys is in late spring early summer , by september there not eating much ..... give them the proper situation and you get to see if it's progressing as it should , they'll start spending their time in the leaf pile , and you'll see them less and less until you stop seeing them altogether .... real small turtles i'd restrict to a smaller area so when it starts turning real cold , i could move the leaves and make sure they're buried in the dirt ......... i've gotten adult healthy turtles from down south late in the summer and i wouldn't even hibernate them without most of the summer to get acclimated ........

Berkeley

Just to make sure you are aware Luis, it is illegal to own box turtles in both New York and New Jersey.

--Berkeley

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it does look like new york is a tougher place to get a permit , it appears unless your breeding them or selling them , you cannot keep them as pets ? new jersey doesn't appear to be to difficult .....i have known of quite a few folks who legally keep native species of turtles in new jersey . i'd contact the new jersey department of wildlife (609-292-9591) , assuming it's an eastern box turtle ? if it's a three toed , gulf coast ,or western box turtle i wouldn't think you'd need a permit at all , in new york or new jersey ...... i believe new jersey has a hobby permit you can get for no more than $25 ........ you'll most likely need to have proof of purchase from a legal source if it's an eastern ........

Luis Taveras0

it does look like new york is a tougher place to get a permit , it appears unless your breeding them or selling them , you cannot keep them as pets ? new jersey doesn't appear to be to difficult .....i have known of quite a few folks who legally keep native species of turtles in new jersey . i'd contact the new jersey department of wildlife (609-292-9591) , assuming it's an eastern box turtle ? if it's a three toed , gulf coast ,or western box turtle i wouldn't think you'd need a permit at all , in new york or new jersey ...... i believe new jersey has a hobby permit you can get for no more than $25 ........ you'll most likely need to have proof of purchase from a legal source if it's an eastern ........
Mine is a three toed box turtle